|Prologue|

June Dunbar

My husband, Lucas, and I had just come home from April's rehearsal dinner. It was satisfying seeing my daughter so happy. That's all I've ever wanted for her and our family. I sighed inwardly and felt misty eyed. I nonchalantly stepped toward the staircase.

As I lifted my right foot, Lucas startled me. "Before you go upstairs, I'd like to discuss something with you." He cocked his head to the side, being mysterious.

What could be so urgent the night before our daughter's wedding?

"Please take a seat." He directed me to the living room sofa with an extended arm. I kicked off my shoes, rubbed my aching feet, and waited for him to speak. He looked as if this was a matter of consequence.

*****

I looked out of my bedroom window in a fog. I was still reeling from the news that I had just received from Lucas. I viewed the stars twinkling, their lights fading in and out of my minds eye. This was supposed to be a happy time for my family. My baby girl, who was the light of my life is getting married tomorrow.

April will make such a beautiful bride as her father walks her down the aisle. He will look dashing in his tuxedo. This is his first time giving away one of his daughters at her wedding. I sauntered over to my bedroom dresser. I let the bobby pins fall from my trademark French roll to reveal my long blonde hair. It fell in waves cascading down my back.

I picked up my antique framed wedding photo and I touched the cool glass. I glided my fingers across the two people staring back at me. I was a young and carefree bride. I married the boy I had a crush on ever since I was a little girl. We were next door neighbors, and he was now a widower.

I twirled a wave of hair around my finger as I ventured down memory lane. Lucas was a few years older than me and friends with my brothers. I tagged along whenever they would let me. "Get outta here squirt." My brother Robert would turn around and point for me to go back inside of the house. He had an angry face and his brows drawn together.

I just wanted to get a glimpse of the handsome Lucas Dunbar, with his incredible hazel eyes. His family was one of the wealthiest families in Savannah. It would be a dream to marry him. He could have any girl he wanted. I wanted him to pick me, but I was second fiddle to Evelyn Smith.

Lucas called me to tell me his wife had died during childbirth. Part of me was actually sad for him. The selfish side thought maybe now he could finally marry me. His wife's brother, James, and his wife, Maxine, had offered to take care of Nicole.

They gave him time so he could grieve his beloved wife. He also had to make a home to raise his daughter. His mama and daddy didn't know that they had a grandchild.

I told him to come back to Savannah and I would help him figure things out. I begged him not to tell his family until we spoke, first. I didn't know how or if his parents would accept Nicole—she was biracial. They didn't agree with Lucas marrying Evelyn, Nicole's mama.

Lucas and Evelyn were high school sweethearts. They ran off to elope and ended up in Dallas. Evelyn became pregnant soon after they got married, and Lucas never told his family.

Nicole came for the memorial service when Maxwell, my husband's father, died. Lucas' mama invited her to get to know her grandma, Mimi. She hoped she could finally have a relationship with her father after twenty-six years. She also wanted her to meet her sister, April. The reunion didn't go quite as I expected it to.