|Twenty-Eight|

Miles

It was a scorcher of a day. I could feel the suns rays beaming on me from inside the house. My mama was shooing me out of the house early this morning. She made breakfast and was clearing the table as I was eating. The doorbell rang. I heard rapid movement towards the front door. Then I saw a familiar face.

"Good morning Miles."

"Nice to see you too, Lance." I smirked.

"Behave boys." Mama glared at us.

"Lance is visiting us from Dallas."

"I missed my two big brothers." Lance grinned mischievously. "Well, maybe one."

"What have I missed here in Savannah?"

"Oh yeah, congrats on your engagement to Natalie. I guess the better man won." He patted me on the back.

"There never was any competition." I stood, cupping his shoulder.

"Can you two ever have a normal conversation? You've been like this since you were little boys." Mama threw her hands up in the air.

"Mama we're just kidding. Lance brings that out in me." I stared in his direction.

"Where is your fiancée? I thought she was here in Savannah?"

"Natalie is staying with Nicole and Skyler, while she's in Savannah." I informed him.

"I'm heading over there now. Would you like to come? Mama's kicking me out of the house. You'll be next." I warned him.

He chuckled. "Looks like I better leave while the coast is clear. I brought something for Evelyn. Let me grab it out of my suitcase and I'll meet you in the car."

Lance held a beautifully gift wrapped pink box. It had pink, purple, and white frilly bows and ribbons dangling down the sides of the box. He held it carefully, so that it didn't tip over.

He examined me with his onyx eyes. "What? I can't give my only niece a gift? I am a nice guy, you know? I love Evelyn. I wish I could see her more."

"You can. Why don't you move to Savannah, now that our family is permanently here?" I suggested.

He looked straight ahead out of the window, as if considering my words. There was something different about my brother. He had a new countenance and maturity about him. Lance always thought about Lance. But today he thought about his family.

We arrived at Skyler's home. I couldn't wait to see Natalie. My mama was acting peculiar this morning. And Lance is here. I wondered if Skyler knew what was up. Lance jumped out of the car once I parked.

Natalie answered the door. "Good morning Miles. What a nice surprise to see you, Lance."

He leaned in and kissed her cheek. "Congratulations on your engagement to this guy." He grinned.

She returned his smile. "Thank you, he's a nice guy."

"Lance." Nicole embraced him. "Come in the house." She fanned her hand forward.

"I have a gift for Evelyn." I saw excitement in his eyes.

Skyler came downstairs carrying her in his arms. She was old enough to walk, but she is Skyler's babygirl. He put her down to join our conversation. Evelyn still clung to her daddy, shyly. Lance hugged Skyler, patting him on the back. It's been several months since we've seen our baby brother.

He bent down and extended his gift out to Evelyn. She ran over and timidly accepted the box.

"Evelyn, say thank you." Nicole reminded her of her manners.