|Three|

Natalie

*****

We walked inside Nicole's spectacular home. It was like a home that you would see in pictures of an interior magazine.

Everything was contemporary, but cozy at the same time. She and I have similar taste.

I loved the color scheme she picked, and the way everything was decorated. Very contemporary with a traditional feel. Soothing earth tones are my favorite.

She didn't have real fussy furniture. It looked sturdy and I actually wanted to sit on it.

"We have two extra bedrooms. Logan and I will take your luggage to your rooms." Skyler directed his statement to me and I shook my head in response.

An Audrey Hepburn looking woman sashayed up to me from out of the kitchen. "Hello, my dear. I'm Amelia Pennington and this is my husband, Beau. We're Skyler's parents and we are overjoyed to meet you."

She was gorgeous and so kind. I loved her personality instantly.

"I'm Natalie, as I'm sure you are already aware. It's so nice to meet the two of you." I mirrored her contagious smile. She looked so classy and elegant, but I could tell she was down to earth.

"Our sons Miles and Lance were supposed to be here today. Miles fancies himself a race car driver. He's racing, as we speak. He races Jaguars, I get so nervous. He just won the race. He called to let me know. He's our middle son." She made an exasperated face.

"Our youngest son, Lance's flight was delayed. He still lives in Dallas." Amelia brought me up to speed on her sons and eyed me peculiarly.

I tried to hide my expression of a bolt from the blue. But Amelia is shrewd, and she didn't miss it. Her sparkling blue eyes lit up with curiosity.

"It's lovely to meet you, Natalie." Mr. Pennington was more subdued, very good looking, and cordial.

"I can't get over how much you resemble Nicole. But it's easy to tell you two apart since you have hazel eyes." Amelia gave me a warm embrace, squeezing my shoulder blades.

"Is your son a driver for Jaguar racing? I heard they were having races this weekend." I cleared my throat.

"They have their final pre-season test in Corby, England. I've always been into Jaguars and I love racing." I asked curiously and shared with Amelia, trying to hide the tremor in my voice.

She drummed her finger on her chin. "Come to think of it, that is what he mentioned. I just get so anxious for him, that I kind of put it out of my mind."

"What is a beautiful children's book author and illustrator doing so well versed on Jaguar racing?" She stretched her eyes in surprise.

"My brother, Logan, is a race car driver and taught me all about cars. It's a hidden passion of mine." I put my finger up to my lips, like that was a secret between she and I.

She became my best friend in that moment. "I've been hoping to get my son, Miles, to stay put. He moved to Savannah, but he can't make up his mind if he is going to stay."

She let out a frustrated sigh and smiled, as her eyes landed on me. Her wheels were turning in her head.

My favorite niece woke up from her nap, and came running toward me. Skyler and Logan came downstairs from putting our luggage in our rooms. They were chatting away. Logan seemed to really like him. I was glad.

"Auntie, climb up!" Evelyn wanted me to pick her up, with her arms reaching skywards. I scooped her in a sweeping motion and tickled her.

"I brought you some Liliana books with me. Can I read you a story?" I smoothed Evelyn's dark brown curls from her face and turned toward the playroom.