|Seventeen|

Miles

*****

I woke up before sunrise this morning. I relived dinner last night with Natalie at my parent's house. I knew she wanted me to say something about our present relationship status. My mind warred with my mouth. It wouldn't allow me to admit the way I felt about her. I knew she and my mama were disappointed when I called her my friend.

I am totally against long distance romances. I banged my head against the wall, as I sat up in bed. That's why I chose not to pursue Natalie when we met last year. After spending time in Savannah getting to know her better, I longed to have her in my life.

She is in a word, magnificent. I've never met another woman that was her equal. I can't believe she added a male character to her children's book series named, Miles the Adventurer. I felt like a complete idiot, letting her fly back to Seattle.

I was ready to ask her not to leave. But I knew she had to go home, and iron out all of the kinks with this new book. I rolled out of bed and splashed some water on my face. I took a good hard look in the mirror. And wondered who was this person staring back at me?

I was no Miles the Adventurer, I scoffed. Natalie saw something in me that I no longer saw in myself. It simply doesn't exist anymore. How do I get it back? It's like she peeled back the layers of my skin—saw through my muscles, my bones, and saw my pulsating heart.

I looked at my watch and grabbed my phone to call Natalie. "Good morning, I know it's early. I hope I didn't pry your eyelids open in surprise." I had a smile in my voice.

All I heard was hysterics coming through the phone. My remark was kind of funny. Laughter bubbled at the back of my throat, hearing her amusement.

"Good morning Miles. I'm just waiting for Nicole and Skyler to take my brother and I, to the airport." I could still hear hints of a chortle in her voice.

It was then, that I made a split second decision. "What time does your flight leave?"

"It leaves at 7 a.m. Why?"

"I gotta go, bye." I hit end.

I slid my jeans on, rifled through my dresser drawer for a shirt, and socks. I put my biker boots on, sprayed on some cologne, and glided my fingers through my dark brown hair. I rushed out of my bedroom.

I closed the door to my room quietly. I grabbed my motorcycle helmet and jumped on my Harley. I arrived at Skyler's house as he was packing the car. Having a motorcycle comes in handy.

"What are you doing here, Miles?" Skyler was shocked to see me.

Before I could answer, Natalie came out of the front door. She looked beautiful as always. My heart wanted out of my chest, it was beating so fast. I couldn't let Natalie leave Savannah without seeing her.

She approached with her carry on. "Hey," she spoke in a breathy tone.

"Hey," I did a quiet air wave, I was at a loss for words. I put my hands in my denim jeans pockets.

"I didn't know you were coming with us to the airport?" She looked questioningly.

"I couldn't let you leave without something very important." I handed her a picture. "This is my favorite picture of me when I was little, I wanted you to have this to inspire your drawing of Miles the Adventurer."

"I love it! You look so adorable."

I shocked myself with my next statement. "I'd also like to come visit you next weekend. I've never been to Seattle. Maybe you could take me sightseeing, if that's okay with you?" I moved my eyebrows up and down.