|Twenty-Six|

Natalie

"Lucas, I didn't know you were joining us for lunch. I thought you were eating with Jill, sweetheart." June plastered a fake smile on her surprised face.

"I knew there was a reason Natalie invited you to lunch. I became curious and overheard her question to you about Nicole. I had to find out your answer." My father confessed.

June's eyes practically popped out of their sockets. "Lucas Dunbar, you were eavesdropping on us?"

"I had to hear you admit what I thought a long time ago," his hazel eyes landed on her with an intense stare. There was also sadness in them.

His eyes became watery and he cleared his throat. "You never liked Evelyn. So you took it out on Nicole? I didn't know you loved me all those years ago. You were my best friend's little sister. Evelyn was my classmate, who became the love of my life."

"She gave me two beautiful daughters, before she died. I have no words for the guilt and pain I feel every day. It has consumed me. I'm ashamed for not raising Nicole and giving Natalie up for adoption. I wasn't a father and I let Evelyn down," he unleashed tears like I have never seen in my life.

I stilled and my heart almost stopped. I was in the middle of something I wasn't prepared for. My father and June had never discussed this before. They were revealing truths weighing upon them for years. This was like a talk show. And I was the host.

"Lucas, I loved you then and I love you now. I'm sorry to cause you and your daughters pain. I know you loved Evelyn, and your life took a dramatic turn when you lost her. Yes, I should have encouraged you and helped you raise Nicole. But I wanted you for myself," she spoke barely above a whisper and she looked piqued.

Lucas looked at me with tears running down the sides of his face. "Please forgive me Natalie. I need to talk to Nicole and apologize to her for everything. She has shown me love and taken care of me since my stroke. She is the spitting image of your mama. She has her heart too. I know I didn't raise you. But you girls are a gift and a second chance. And I even have a granddaughter."

"And I love your sister, April. You three girls mean so much to me. I want us to be a family one day. When I became a grandfather, I knew the meaning of love for my children. Evelyn has given a whole new dimension to my heart. I will never make the mistake that I made when you were born," he sighed heavily.

I grabbed his hand, not able to speak. I wrapped my arm around my stomach and cried like a baby. I didn't expect this outcome. None of us did. June looked worn out. Her eyelids were puffy, and her eyes looked vacant. She was emotionally overwhelmed to put it mildly.

"I'm going to wash my face and lie down. Can you sit with your father? I'm no longer hungry. Thank you for coming Natalie. It seems your father and I have much to talk about at a later time. I can't discuss anything more right now," June, slid back her chair with a screeching sound. She stood and exited the dining room, with her heels clicking across the hardwood floor.

I was nervous for my father's health. He was under a tremendous amount of stress. I hoped this unexpected disclosure didn't raise his blood pressure too much. My heart sped up with fright. I thought back to his stroke and I was scared.

I moved towards his chair and wrapped my arms around his neck in a hug. His shoulders moved up and down as he continued to shed tears. This can't be good for him. I was trying to think coherently.