|Five|

Natalie

*****

The drama started sooner than I thought it would. With sixteen of us seated at the table, sparks are bound to fly. We talked about safe topics at first and everyone enjoyed Nicole's delicious brunch selections.

My sister is a fantastic cook and hostess. I could certainly take lessons from her. I wasn't all that interested in cooking. I can make some ridiculously good chocolate chip cookies, if I do say so myself. I learned from my mom.

The small talk ended abruptly. Uncle James started staring my father down with an icy stare. "Lucas, I'm having a hard time sitting here. I can't comprehend why you never mentioned that my sister delivered two babies. How did you live with yourself knowing about the existence of Natalie? How could you keep such a secret for twenty-eight years?"

My uncle was very calm as he leaned forward with his elbows on the table. He was keeping his temper at bay, but you could see rigid cords in his neck. His temple was beginning to pulse.

I saw beads of sweat appear on my father's forehead and redness colored his face. We all sat uncomfortably waiting for him to answer the question. I was hoping this would end peacefully.

He threw down his linen napkin. "To be honest James, I haven't. This has been the most difficult way of living. It was horrible to treat Nicole the way I did. Then, to sign for Natalie's adoption. . . I was lost, without Evelyn."

He struggled to speak. He had liquid trailing down his face. "I loved her and her loss was too great for me to fathom. I really have no words or excuses for what I've done. I can only hope that one day, somehow, my daughters can both forgive me. I hope you all can."

My father spoke apologetically and sincerely. It was heartfelt, and I didn't know what to do, feel, or say. The angst I felt was tangible, like I could reach out and soothe it.

"Daddy you have me, not just Nicole and Natalie. I'm still your daughter too." April felt it necessary to remind him, with tearful eyes. Jace patted her shoulder comfortingly. He really was a sweet man. He had to be, to deal with April.

June pressed her lips firmly together. "James, do you feel better bringing this topic up right now? You've gone and upset my daughter. She is Nicole and Natalie's sister."

"I think that's enough for now. . . Lucas has already revealed what took place when Natalie was born. This is difficult for all of us to process. He never even told me. And I can vouch for the fact that he loved your sister." She glanced at Lucas with tears in her eyes.

She started fanning herself, as wisps of her hair started hanging from her pristine French roll. She put her elbows on the table, lowering her head as she placed her hands on her forehead.

Mimi spoke up. "I agree with June, for once. It would be better if the girls spoke to their father in a more private setting. And that is for them to decide, when they are ready. I think we are all still reeling from the shock of this disclosure."

Mimi was right and wanted to maintain a semblance of peace.

Nicole stood and addressed everyone at the table. She clasped her hands in front of her. "I would rather speak about this matter at another time. Natalie, you are certainly welcome to speak to our father today."

She stilled for a moment. "You two are welcome to use Skyler's home office. I'm sure there are questions you'd like to ask him, and I respect your privacy. This is your first time meeting him."

I appreciated her candor and thoughtfulness.

"Well, why don't I clear off the dishes and help Nicole put dessert out?" Amelia sounded like a cheerleader. She was trying her hardest to turn this conversation around.