Chapter Thirteen: It Gets Better

Finn's POV:

  I let out a deep breath. I'm walking to the castle with Adam to follow through with the plan that I have.

  "Don't be nervous," Adam says.

  "I'm trying not to be. I just don't know how we're going to make this work," I reply, my voice quavering because of my nerves.

  "We've been going over the plan for the past three days, it's bound to work,"

  "But Bubblegum's really smart, she might see through it," I counter.

  "It won't work if you remain nervous,"

  I look down at the ground, knowing that Adam is right. "Let's just go over it one last time."

  I look up at Adam and he nods.

  "Okay," I start. "So we go to the Candy Kingdom and the plan will take course in the castle. That part is obvious."

  "Yeah, and we can either both go inside together or one of us can wait,"

  "Waiting would probably be more effective if done correctly, but that would also give the plan more time to fail," I say.

  "So, I guess that means we go in together,"

  I nod, "Then we play it off like I haven't been around for the past few days."

  "We don't want Bubblegum to think we were planning something, so we have to go along with that,"

  "But what are you going to say? We need to make sure the plan is sound," I ask.

  Adam shrugs, "I'll think of something."

  "Fine, but it better be believable. Anyways, then what? We have to have a lead in to make us start to argue,"

  "It's just acting, I'll start agreeing to what Bubblegum's saying, how the flame people are hostile, and you can pretend to get mad at me," Adam says.

  "That could work because Bubblegum already knows how much her plan has infuriated me. So, after that then I start to like 'fake attack' you?"

  "I guess, and I can ask Bubblegum for help and then she-,"

  "Yeah, I know. Don't mention that part, that's why I'm so nervous," I say.

  "I understand, it is the most important part of the plan. But this is what you want to happen, right?"

  I nod, "I just want her to surrender and help you get home."

  "Thanks, Finn," Adam says. "I never really told you how much I appreciate this."

  "Well, I was once a hero. I still like to think that I am, even though lately I haven't been acting like much of one. You've helped me realize that even though I may not be great at what I do, I shouldn't give up because I'm not alone in this. Before you came I would have never found the inspiration to keep going, because I felt useless. So, if anyone should be thanking someone, I should be thanking you. It's what heroes do, they try to remain righteous when all odds are against them. They don't give up whenever things aren't going their way, they keep going. I understand this now," I say, pouring out how I feel at the moment.

  Adam remain speechless for the rest of the walk.

  Once outside the castle, I swallow the lump of fear in my throat. "This is it, this is what we have to do."