08.0 CAT AND MOUSE GAMES

"...The world is changing. You are a generation of digital natives. It is imperative that you have access to the necessary tools for the advancement of your education. I am beyond pleased that I have this opportunity to make a lasting impact on this school community. I am blessed to be in a position where I can give back. I sincerely hope that you will make optimal use of this opportunity. With that being said, I am pleased to announce that construction of East Park High's Computer Laboratory will begin as soon as the twentieth of April. I anticipate returning in no time for the grand opening."

A round of deafening applause sounded throughout the gymnasium. I flashed a contented smile and watched the girls in the front row rise to their feet. I had to bite my lip to hold in my laughter when I heard someone whistle from the back, but I positively died when someone shouted, "Goddamn!".

These teenage girls were phenomenal for my self-esteem. I was going to need all the boosting I could get after the number Joyce did on me. It felt like she had run over the old ego like a truck, and backed up over it to make sure it was dead. As a man who rarely heard 'no' from the opposite sex, my confidence had taken a bit of a hit. Matter of a fact, the only time a woman told me 'no' was when I'd tauntingly ask if I should stop hitting it from the back. You can imagine how emphaticly they'd reply.

I let Mrs Graham, East Park's principal, take the reins after that, too consumed with staring at the object of my obsession. I stared hard, afraid that if my eyes strayed for too long she'd chuck through a window or something.

She avoided my eyes as if looking at me would turn her to stone. I was actually surprised she hadn't tried to make a run for it yet. She seemed like the type. Strangely, though I did not find such a quality attractive, it did not diminish her allure.

Mrs Graham sung my praises like a canary high on life. You would have sworn I'd discovered the cure for cancer, eradicated world hunger and established world peace all in one full sweep. I was relieved when she finally stopped talking.

The assembly dispersed. Joyce hightailed it out of the room like a mouse with a cat on her six inch heels. She thought she could escape. Adorable.

"Thank you Mrs G for your kind words," I hit her with the smile and the lady blushed so hard I thought her head would explode, "after such an amazing assembly, I don't think a separate meeting with the staff is necessary. I'd just like to stick around for the rest of the day. Probably visit a few classes, speak with a few teachers one on one, interact with the students on a more personal level- if that is okay with you of course."

Mesmerized, she nodded as if in a trace, "O-of course dear! Anything you'd like."

She was so cute I wanted to pat her on the head. The lady was old enough to be my mother.

I strutted away with a bounce in my stride, off to chase my elusive mouse.

It took me three minutes flat to discover that Miss Marshall taught English language and literature in room 204 on the C block. This was too easy. I even made it there before she and half the population of her class did.

I perched myself on the edge of the counter at the back and waited. The girls giggled in their small groups and the guys kept giving me the side eye. None of them did chalk up the courage to come and talk to me, though. A shame. I would have enjoyed some pregame entertainment.

She walked in with her bag on her shoulder, her hands piled with papers and on the bridge of her nose was a dainty pair of reading glasses straight out of Harry Potter. It should have made her look like a grandma but all it did was make my dïck swell.

"Sorry I'm late guys. I had to drop by the the teacher's lounge for your papers so I can finally return them. Most of you did well-"

She positively squeaked when she caught sight of me, scattering her papers all over her once tidy desk.

She looked so dumbstruck I just had to save her.

"Hello."

"H-hi,"

"I'm just sitting in to observe, don't mind me, " I gave her what was supposed to be an encouraging tilt of the lips but by the daunting look on her face, all she saw was a conniving smirk.

She swallowed one, twice, a third time, "A-ah yes, sure, of course. Right, um. I was saying, um, yes. What was I saying?"

I was sure I was oozing satisfaction from my pores.

She was assisted with a prompt from the class.

"Oh yes, right!"

I watched her scamper around, handing out papers. Her back stiff, trying to pretend like I wasn't there. At six-foot-three, it was quite a task, but I admired her effort.

She gave each student feedback before launching into her lesson, blocking out my presence and avoiding my eyes, unsuccessfully.

And I just sat there, watching her, grinning like a cat that was about to eat all her cream.

●●●