16.0 PHONE CALLS AND SURPRISES

I wanted to call. Believe me, I did. But the words were beyond me.

"Thank you" was not enough to express the warmth inside me, the melodious hum he put within my soul.

I walked across the pedestrian amid the scuttling crowd, fiddling with my cellphone, the gift in question beneath my arm and my bag swinging at my thigh. I remained submerged in contemplative waters, mulling over the things I could, would, should say.

But he knew me, far better than I'd of dared to admit, so when my phone belted Celine's sweet melody just a couple blocks over, I was not quite surprised to see his name on my caller ID.

"I've been waiting for you to call." His voice was gentle, devoid of accusation or displeasure.

"I was going to," I admitted, feeling remorseful.

"Oh, well it's unfortunate that I allowed my impatience to get the better of me. How about this, I'll hang up and you can call me back."

I laughed at his playfulness, "Daniel-"

I stared down at my screen, my mouth agape, unable to believe he had just... I redialed.

"Hello Joyce." I could hear his laughter. "Isn't this much better?"

"You are impossibly childish," I chided without heat or conviction.

He chuckled, "Out of the two of us, someone has to be."

His amusement dimmed, as did the volume of his voice, replaced with something akin to nerves, "Do you like them?"

I faltered in my response. This was my opportunity to reveal all that was churning inside me beyond pretty flowers and prepossessing brand shoes.

"Of course I like them." That was for certain.

It was a rocky start, but a start nonetheless.

"They're beautiful... stunning really," This was good, excellent communication. I gave myself a mental high five.

He sighed in quick relief, "That's good, great... good. Admittedly I was a bit worried."

"Worried, why?" I trodded slowly down the sidewalk, weaving my way through the throng of commuters, "Because I didn't call you?"

"No. Yes. I mean, yeah. I figured you were mad at me."

"What for?" My brows drew together in mystification.

"I thought maybe it was too much, maybe you didn't like them, and then you didn't call so..."

I chuckled in an attempt to eradicate his misgivings, "Danny, I love them."

There was a pregnant pause, where for a moment I believed he had hung up on me again, but without reason.

"There are times I think I have a handle on you, Joyce Marshall, but you prove to be just as enigmatic as the very first night I met you."

I laughed harder. "Variety is said to be the spice of life. I won't want to bore you by being too predictable."

"You, boring? Never!" I could feel his merriment across the distance, "I imagined you'd be up in arms about the expense."

"Oh please don't tell me the price tag, I'd probably faint on the sidewalk.

He began to cackle before he seemed to catch himself, "Sidewalk?"

"I'm almost home, actually making my way up the front steps now."

"What?"

"I know it's late but the work never stops, whether it be my birthday or not."