JOYCE: 22.0 BLESSED MIRACLES

Silence. Awkward silence. Painful, akward silence. Embarrassing, painful, awkward silence.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." I covered my face in shame. God, if I could've shrunk myself down to the size of a pebble I would've.

Isaiah, unwilling to see me suffer too much, offered a gentle jibe, "If I had a dollar for everytime someone called Mom a printer, I wouldn't need to work." I peeked through my fingers to see he had cracked a half smile, and I was soothed by the relief that came with remaining in his good graces.

Luke's eyes were on Daniel, gauging his expression in order to formulate an appropriate one of his own. The man in question was staring off into the desolate vacuum of space.

"Am I missing something? Who is she?" Caree was borderline hostile, like she was gearing up to launch herself through the screen so she could go for my jugular.

I found myself flinching back even with the knowledge that she was a continent away. She was a lioness, ready to take me out in defence of her cubs. "I-I," I was unsure how to save this tanking first impression, intimidated to say the least.

"This is Joyce." Isaiah informed,"Daniel's finally coming out to his girlfriend."

Her eyes widened before they narrowed, "Well, I'll be damned..."

"Coming out?" Daniel had the grace to blush, "I'm a quadruplet, not gay."

"I find the expression fitting seeing as how you treat us like your dirty little secret." Luke scoffed, "I feel more like your boyfriend than your brother."

Daniel's face just about caught on fire, "I do not-"

There was a clash of stares. Words ceased but their eyes had drawn broad swords.

"Aye, aye! Stop that," Caree just about threw herself in the midst of their duel, snaring both their attentions with a speel of rapid-fire German.

She said something that made Isaiah snort away his laughter, and Luke roll his eyes. Daniel responded harshly with something short and clipped, his body strung out like a live wire. But that didn't stop Caree, she went on and on like she was giving a TED Talk.

I was reminded of me and Brandon's chat at Lights. The four were indeed tightknit. I could feel the circle closing and I was stuck on the outside, peeping in through frosted glass. Now I was forced to garner as much info as possible from facial expressions rather that participate in the conversation.

I used the time to study each of them with scrutinizing interest. I was hell-bent on uncovering distinguishing features that would assist me in differenciating one from the other. Heaven forbid I find myself in another unfortunate situation.

Luke and Daniel were like two peas in a pod. They were mirror reflections of one another- incredibly identical even in their minute expressions and movement. They even sat the same, with legs spread apart like there wasn't enough room in their pants to house their respective, um- packages.

Their defining characteristics were rooted in their demeanour. Brandon had pegged Isaiah as the quiet one, but I disagreed. Isaiah had only been kind to me, warm and inviting even.

Luke kept to himself. He said very little. I was unsure whether or not it was due to the topic of conversation, seeing as I couldn't understand it, or something or someone else- i.e. me. Considering the cataclysmic event that was our last meeting, I couldn't fault him. I was given the distinct impression that I made him tremendously uncomfortable.

In all honesty, I could admit I shared similar sentiments.

Luke did carry a particular air about him though, a distinct scent of wildness. His eyes danced with something offputting to those with enough common sense to run in the face of danger. He seemed almost... feral.