1 || We Can't Be Friends

"DADDDYYYYYYYY!" Deuce yelled as he burst through the door of his daddy's dressing room with his mom right behind him.

"What's up G? You been good?" Gabe asked as he picked Deuce up.

"What's good Case? You good?" Gabe greeted Case with a hug and kiss on the cheek. As he continued to play with Deuce, he looked Case over, sneaking a few peeks here and there.

She wore jeans and a T-Shirt promoting Gabe's new album with some black heels. Gabe was happy to see she was still a fan after all the shit they been through. A few months after Deuce, or Gabe Jr., was born the two decided to split and called the wedding off. Case found out that Gabe was drunk one night and fucked a stripper shortly before she gave birth and that was the last straw.

She never wanted Deuce to be without his father so she made sure he got his parenting time. Deuce was now five. Shockingly, Case moved to New York and opened an office here. She left Tab to run the Atlanta office. Her mom, grandmother, Michelle and Bree moved here with her. Bree helped managed the office here and Michelle opened her own hair salon.

She and Deuce have been here for about year. She didn't like switching months with Gabe so she moved closer to make it easier on them both. Once she took and passed the New York bar, she put her plan into motion and moved. She is happy with her decision since she's tripled her income.

She opened up a few youth centers and gun ranges back at home and a tattoo shop up here to continue to multiply her income. Although her and Gabe weren't together, they co-parented well and were like best friends. Neither of them dated seriously since the breakup. At least to Gabe's knowledge, neither seriously dated. Gabe messed around here and there but still wanted and had love for Case. He was just giving her the space she asked for. However, he took her moving to NY as a step in the direction of them getting back together. He knew that Case was the best thing that ever happened to him and he still isn't giving that up.

Case has filled out since she gave birth. Her ass was nice and fat, she had thick thighs and wide hips. Working out kept her waist snatched. To Gabe, her body was perfect. Gabe was mesmerized every time she came out.

Case brought Deuce to his dad's show since he was begging to come. He loved watching his dad perform and would rap to everyone song or at least try to. Since Deuce was coming, they didn't smoke or drink in the dressing room.

"I've been good. Can't complain." Case responded to Gabe as they sat down on a nearby couch.

"What's up sis?" Rod said to Case as he gave her a hug.

"Hey big head. Still stressing folks out?"

"Nigga, you been here a year and still country." Rod said as they laughed.

"Whatever Rod."

"Put me on with Chelle." He continued.

"She don't want you!" Case playfully yelled.

"Aight bet!" Rod said walking away.

"So, I have someone I want you to meet. I want you to meet him first before I let him meet Deuce." Case said to Gabe with a smile. Gabe stared at her as if she was speaking in another language. She had to be tripping to ask him to allow another man around his son. But what bothered him the most was the thought of Casey moving on. She was supposed to be with him. She promised him she would let him know when she was ready to try again but all of that went out the window.

"The right of first refusal" is what she called it. "It's where, in a contractual relationship, if I decided to sell the business or property, I'm granting you, the person I have the contractual relationship with, the right to refuse first before I entertain other buyers. So what I'm saying to you is, I promise that when that day comes that I decide to date again, I will give you the right of first refusal. I'm not sure when that would be, now or never but you will be the first to know. This entire relationship has been too much. We moved at such a fast pace and didn't have time to fully process anything. That's where we went wrong Gabe. I'm hurt. I feel betrayed. I need time to process all of this." Gabe replays that moment over and over again in his head. He remembers it like it was yesterday.

It was hard for him to wrap his head around what she was saying now. Especially after that right of first refusal bullshit when she was entertaining someone else.

"Hello?" Casey asked while waving her hand in Gabe's face trying to get his attention.

"Who is this nigga?"

"Benji. I met him shortly after I moved here at a networking event. He's an attorney as well." Casey said as Gabe noticed this new glow about her. He was fuming inside.

"Where the nigga from?"

"He's Somalian." Casey responded with a bigger smile. Gabe simply nodded as he continued to play with Duece.

"Sooooooo tomorrow? Free for lunch?" Casey asked.

"Yeah. I'll drop Duece off to moms in the morning."

"Okay see you then. 143" Case said as she attempted to lean in and kiss Gabe on the cheek.

"Nah. Ion think ya nigga will appreciate that, Casey." Gabe said as he got up and walked away with Deuce leaving Casey dumbfounded.

Casey knew Gabe wouldn't be the most supportive with her dating. However, she was well aware of Gabe's affairs. She saw him on IG a couple of times with girls here and there. That never bothered her because she was the one who gave him the opportunity to do just that. At this point, she was beyond convinced that she and Gabe were completely done.

Gabe, on the other hand, was hurt and pissed. He tried to put on his poker face for Deuce but it didn't work too well. Rod and everyone else picked up on it. Instead of pressuring him, they left Gabe alone to process his thoughts. After getting dressed, Gabe grabbed Deuce and headed home with Rod following.

"Go wash up and put on your PJs Deuce." Gabe said as we walked into his condo throwing his keys on a nearby table. Rod walked in before he could close the door.

Sitting on the couch, Gabe & Rod each sparked their individual Ls.

"So how you feel about Case dating?" Rod asked.

"It ain't about her dating. The fact that she had the balls to ask me to let another nigga around my son is what has me fucked up."

"But lets be real though G. Case is smart. We both know she ain't gone have some ruthless nigga around. You really ain't trying to admit that you're tight because she's dating. Shit I'm pissed for you my nigga."

"Mannnnnn" Gabe said rubbing his hands down his face.

"5 years my nigga. It's been 5 years. I been sitting here waiting on her ass to come home. She moved here had a nigga thinking he had another chance. I found out more shit about Case in this past year than I knew the last 6 years bro. I understand every move she makes. I know what she's thinking just by the look on her face. We talk all damn day my nigga. I thought we were good." He said as he continued to smoke his blunt trying to mask his frustration.

"I get it my nigga. I really do. She friend zoned you fool. She straight up treated you like her best friend my nigga. And you allowed it -"

"The fuck was I supposed to do?"

"Fight for her. You don't think this shit fuck with Deuce? Bouncing from yo crib to hers? Nigga probably wondering why he ain't having family dinners and shit. Why mommy and daddy ain't in the same crib? Every move Case makes is for the that lil nigga. Every move you make is for Gabe. That's the problem."

"Daddy I'm hungry." Deuce said interrupting Rod and Gabe's conversation.

"Handle that my nigga. I'll get at you later." Rod said leaving Gabe in his own thoughts. He got up and made a bowl of cereal for Deuce and himself before they both called it a night and got some much needed sleep.