Chapter 14

The sun was shinning down warmly on the mid October fall grounds, orange leaves starting to coat the vibrant green grass beyond the large cobblestone patio in the sprawling country club in the suburbs of Boston. It was beautiful, especially with the mulled wine and live, soft orchestral music in the background. But all the wine in the world couldn't calm my nerves so I didn't even bother taking a sip. I needed all my sharpness for when I met Beck's mom.

The ceremony had been absolutely beautiful. Everything from the expensive flowers to the personal vows to Beck's mother's positively stunning lace ball gown with a train longer than my future. I was so fucking nervous, I'm surprised the knocking of my knees hadn't snapped the heals off my black pumps.

"For someone who gives grown ass men twice her size black eyes and split lips via a hunk of rubber, I can feel your heartbeat and I'm only standing next to you," warm breath fanned my exposed neck where my dirty blonde hair was pinned in one of the only classy updos I knew how to do. I just wanted to get this over with so I could enjoy myself or spend the rest of the night hating myself for messing this up. "Relax, Baby. I'm right by your side, nothing is going to happen."

"Babe, I'm fine. Just relax." I wasn't very convincing and Beck saw right through my barely veiled attempt to stop him from teasing me, even if it was well intentioned. I could barely think straight. Was this normal?

"Thats a lie and we both know it," he quipped lowly. Beck was about to say something again when someone's voice captured both of our attention spans.

"Danielle?"

I looked over my shoulder to see an older man in his sixties with bright grey eyes, so light it was almost scary. His hair looked like snow, no traces of grey, only pure ivory. I couldn't help but force a small smile to appear on my face as the five foot ten investor approached the two of us. "Mr. Mulburg, it's been a while." The displeasure in my voice must have been hidden well enough or he simply didn't care, because the stock broker continued like nothing had happened.

"Too long, my dear," I tried my best not to cringe as he pulled me in for a polite hug. Beck watched the whole exchange expressionless, trying to figure out if this was a happy reunion or not. Who was I kidding, he could read my fucking mind. Beck knew I wasn't very pleased right now. At least I wasn't thinking too hard about his mother. "Is your brother here? God, I've been trying to get a meeting with him for months. I think he's the only bastard who came out of that lull in the market back in May with a profit. He knows how to play number games, that's for sure. What about you? Get that business degree yet?"

It took every once of courage in my body not to roll my eyes at him. Gary Mulburg was a social climber at best. He was a low rate broker who somehow made it out of the housing crisis in the early two thousands with enough money to float his career. "I got my physics degree, if that's what you are asking. We both know business is not my main interest."

"Such a shame. Who else will handle the Riley funds? You should go back to school with that brilliant mind of yours."

"I'm guessing his son and his daughter can handle the Riley Group when the time comes," Beck jumped in while extending his hand for a shake. Gary's eyes settled on Beck, probably looking for any signs that Beck was wealthier than him. I think the thirty four thousand dollar gold Rolex watch on his wrist, gleaming against his caramel skin tone gave it away as Gary shook Beck's hand. "Beckett Sampson."

"Gary Mulburg. It's a pleasure to meet the bride's son." I almost snorted. For someone who didn't know who Beck was two seconds ago, he suddenly seemed to know a lot about my boyfriend. "You finished your schooling too, yes? You should have convinced this one to follow her family's footsteps like you," Gary mused like Beck was some technology CEO. That was funny. If his father hadn't taught him everything he needed to know about computers by the time he was fifteen then Beck wouldn't even know what Windows was. He couldn't care less to be completely honest.