Chapter 45

The sun's vibrant orange light was barely visible on the horizon, a dim night taking over as the moon softly illuminated everything below it. It was bright enough to see everything in detail, but dim enough to feel like it was just past dusk. Soft waves crashed against the shore a few feet in the distance from the empty wooden pier. The air was stagnant but fresh, a sixty something degree environment keeping my skin warm enough to be comfortable without sweaty.

It was a nice change for the harsh March winter in New York. There was dirty snow covering the busy streets and intense winds sipping around on a daily basis, reading to freeze your ears off with the next storm at the same time as the thick humidity coated your freezing skin. Cold and sticky was an odd combination that was hard for anyone outside of Long Island, the city and Western Connecticut to understand. California was a nice vacation, even if it was only for three days, one of which included work. Though I loved my job so playing the LA Kings was a piece of cake. Now I got to relax with my boyfriend on a much needed date night.

It was rare we had time to have a proper dinner date but I didn't mind. Our families might be glamorous but we were private people who were just as happy having shitty beers and pizza on the couch as we would be at a five star restaurant drinking champagne. That's what I loved about Beck and I's relationship; both ways felt natural. Most people were more comfortable one way or another but not us. No matter where I was, Beck and I were happy to be with each other, whether that was a country club full of billionaires or a frat party with broke college kids and high hockey players eating boarder line food poisoned fast food. My boyfriend and I were something special, thats for sure.

"Sylvia used to live a few miles from here when she was in middle and early high school in Calabasas," I told Beck as he held my hand, our forearms leaning against the rustic grey wood of one of the lesser known piers on the Santa Monica coast line near Will Roger's State Beach.

"Did she like it?" Beck asked curiously. "She seems like a North-easterner at heart."

"She is. I think that's why she was happy to move back to the New York area. Do you ever want to leave the Northeast?"

"Not particularly. Do you?" He raised a dark eyebrow at me questioningly. The glowing sun hit his intimidating bone structure in a beautifully sexy way. It was hard to explain the way it made me feel inside. It was like Beckett was a statue in a museum, perfectly designed to please the human eye and all the right ways. But not just any eye; my eye.

"Nah. Snow, sun, beaches, colorful leaves, bagels, pizza, lacrosse, and hockey. What's not to love?"

"Having to shovel wet snow and sleet when you were wearing shorts literally the day before."

"Okay, I can't argue with that," I laughed, knowing how miserable the fall and spring could be if the weather hated us. "When we retire we should get a vacation home somewhere warm and just hide there in March and April then again in October and November."

"I like that idea," his deep voice murmured over the quiet waves against the wooden pier that we stood on alone, caped lights mounted on the wooden railings. "Just you, me, and the absence of other annoying human beings. Maybe a dog or something. I don't think I can wait until retirement for that. We should just do that now."

"And forget our jobs at potentially the most important months? Let's go for it," I joked back with him, bumping my shoulder against his, the warmth of his body scattering on my skin through his dress shirt and the nude colored silky button down I was wearing with a pair of nice looking heals and faux leather pants. It looked classy and sexy as fuck; I would fuck myself if I could. Then again, Beck's a lot more attractive to me so I'd rather just get dicked down by him. "I'd go anywhere with you and be happy," I murmured, turning my head to the right to look away from the water and back at Beck. His large right hand reached to cup my jaw as his lips captured mine compassionately in a brief embrace that was probably too long for a public place, but much too short for my liking.