Chapter 1: Meet Atlas

I felt my face hit the pavement and I yelled out as the impact made my head feel like it had just split open and I skidded across the gravel path, my upper arms and lower legs chaffing from the protective position I was in.

This wasn't my fault.

I refuse to accept any responsibility on my part. I was blameless and guilt-free and if anything purely a victim in this situation.

Let me explain how this all came about from the very beginning.

I was born in Leighstone in- ... No, maybe not that far back...

My name is Akara. Before you guess it's not from Japanese, it's a Thai name. Mom's from Thailand, dad's a muggle. Anyway, I'm turning seventeen this summer and I'm male. My favourite music is usually screamo or just any old weird bands. I like it when they dress up, face paints and all.

I go to Central Leighstone Secondary School, the second most prestigious school in Camroe city and I hate it and I hate everyone that goes there even the cleaners who don't like me even though I'm the cleanest person there because they assume if I'm a problem kid I'm their problem as well. All the kids suck major hairy arsehole and the teachers are patronising wankers who like to think they can walk on water.

Every day I wake up and take an hour walking to school even though it's only ten minutes away just so that I don't make the grave mistake of coming in on time. I did that once and I shit you not a teacher came in early to check to see if I was there, was surprised to see I had managed to come in on time and congratulated my form room teacher as though she made it happen somehow.

My biggest problem with teachers is they like to take credit for every little achievement you make and they take no credit for anything bad you do. Fail a test? All my fault. Get a hundred percent? Well done teacher your skills must be commendable.

Despite my hatred of all things education particularly at my school the bane of my existence was actually just boredom. To escape the crippling inactivity at home I hung out at the skate park near the centre of town after school till it was too dark to see (there were three lamp posts that should have lit up the skate park and they were all broken... probably vandalised but not by me) and the kids started leaving.

I had friends at the skate park and mostly they didn't come from my school. Most of the people there were such goody-two-shoes it was hard to breathe around them.

One kid called Amir came from my school, he was alright but we never saw each other at school. He was a short, slightly dark kid with thick rimmed plastic glasses, braces and dark hair. If I'm right he's in the year below me.

"Watch out!" I heard a voice say before Misbah came flying past me as I was walking at a crawling pace across the park. He tried to turn when he didn't really need to and fell off the skate board awkwardly but not dangerously.

"Sorry!" I waved my hand at him.

"Idiot!" He yelled.

Misbah was another of my friends, he had sort of darkish ginger hair and dark brown eyes. He was taller than me. We nicknamed him 'Mischief' because he has been kicked out of two schools already. One for low attendance and another for messing with a teachers computer and playing a video called 'two girls one cup' in assembly. They only got about 30 seconds in, no one was scarred by it yet, as he let us know on a regular basis.

I sat on a bench nearby and saw Bobby walking past and yelled out to him.

He turned around and walked over.

"Whats up," He greeted me with a bro fist, something I'm not comfortable with to be honest. I always feel like I hold my fist too high and end up doing some kind of limp wrist bro fist. I'm always down for a regular good old hand shake if I'm being real frank.