16

I still smell like wind when I walk into the cafeteria. From the second I walk in, I stand among a crowd of Dauntless, and I feel like one of them. Then Shauna waves to me and the crowd breaks apart, and I walk toward the table where Olivia, Liam, and Calum sit, staring at me. I didn't think about them when I accepted Uriah's invitation. I honestly don't think the other initiates or members would have wanted them there. They haven't made a name for themself like I have.

"Where were you? What were you doing with them?" Olivia asks.

"Uriah... you know, the Dauntless-born who was on our capture the flag team?" I say. "He was leaving with some of the members and he asked me to go with them. They didn't really want me there."

"They may not have wanted you there then," Liam says quietly, "but they seem to like you now."

"Yeah," I admit. I can't deny it, I don't want to either. "I'm glad to be back, though with you guys."

"Well, you missed Olivia almost punching someone," Calum informs me. His voice sounds eager. I can count on Calum to try to break the tension. "He was here talking about how some Flower Child couldn't be ranked as high as she was. He thought you were sleeping with Four or even Eric in order to be ranked higher. Olivia told him he was dead wrong. That you deserve the rank you earned."

"Which she was completely right about," Liam adds. "And he got testy with her. Big mistake."

"Huge, he's lucky I wasn't here or he would have to deal with both of us" I say, laughing.

"Yeah. While you were off having fun, I was doing the dirty work of defending you," Olivia says.

"Come on, you know you enjoyed it," Calum says, nudging her with his elbow. "If you're not going to tell the whole story, I will. He was standing..." Calum launches into his story.

I nod along like I'm listening, but all I can think about is staring down the side of the Hancock building, and the image I got of the marsh full of water, restored to its former glory. I look over Liam's shoulder at the members, who are now flicking bits of food at one another with their forks. I can't wait until initiation is over and I will finally be one of them.

The second stage of initiation started today. As far as I can tell, the second stage involves sitting in a dark hallway with the other initiates. My mind is wandering through the possibilities of what we will be made to do. Uriah sits across from me, with Marlene on his left and Lynn on his right. The Dauntless-born initiates and the transfers were separated during stage one, but we will be training together from now on. That's all Four told us before he disappeared behind the door.

"So," Lynn says, scuffing the floor with her shoe. "Which one of you is ranked first, huh?"

Her question is met with silence at first, and then Scott clears his throat. "Charlie."

"Bet I could take you." Lynn says it casually, turning the ring in her eyebrow with her fingertips. "I'm second, but I bet any of us could take you, transfer."

Charlie laughs. "I bet you could. You guys have been waiting for your initiation for years."

Lynn smiles at him and laughs. Charlie is a nice guy. He never starts any problems with anyone. He is also dating Shannon. They're cute together, they usually stay near each other and don't interact with the other transfers too much.

"Who's first out of you guys?" I ask pointing to the Dauntless born.

"Uriah," Lynn answers.

Four opens the door and says, "Lynn." He beckons to her, and she walks down the hallway, the blue light at the end making her bare head glow.