19

I'm laying down in the same metal chair I've spent the past few days in. My breathing starts to become labored.

"It's just a simulation, Em," Four says quietly.

Easy for him to say he's already gone through his fear sims, and he spends all day staring at other peoples. "That doesn't make it any less scary," I say.

Four just gives me a sympathetic smile. The last simulation bled into my life. I haven't had nightmares this bad since my brother's death. Every night the same thing, I'm back in the field outside Amity. Every time I'm torn apart by the pack of dogs. I feel pure terror every time I close my eyes. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. I push myself further back in the chair and close my eyes.

When I open them I'm not in a field like last time. There are no dogs trying to eat me. My heart starts pounding hard in my chest. I can feel it in my bones. A few seconds pass and nothing happens. I realize that this is my fear, the darkness. Not knowing what is surrounding me sends shivers down my spine. Literally anything can be just inches from my face and I still would not be able to see it. I find myself spinning in a circle trying to see if there's any light coming from anywhere.

I start to hear noises. They are quite at first barely noticeable. It sounds like feet shuffling, but I can't tell where it is coming from. The sound starts to get louder, as if there were a whole group of people surrounding me that I can't see. It's becoming harder to breathe, like I'm having a panic attack.

"Whoever you are, stay away from me!" I scream. I can't do anything to stop the sound. All I need is the slightest ounce of light.

I start walking forward, arms stretched out in front of me hoping to not hit anything. I keep walking straight, maybe I'll hit a wall, or find a light source of some kind. Even though I'm moving I still hear the sound of shuffling surrounding me, but I never hit anyone or anything. That is until I hit a wall. I feel the wall moving to my right hoping to find a door or a window, anyway to get out of here. I don't find anything, it feels like the wall goes on forever. Of course there wouldn't be a way out, this whole thing is designed to terrify me.

Then it hits me, something Calum said the other day. The simulation is all in my head. That means I can control it.

I start pounding on the wall with all my might. I try slamming my whole body into the wall, only to bounce right off of it. Nothing is working. I lift my leg up to kick at the wall. Once. Twice. On the third try I hear a crack, like the wall had started to split. I keep kicking, harder and harder each time. Finally I feel my foot go through the wall. I feel myself jump forward.

I open my eyes, happy to see I'm in a room with lights. I'm in the chair.

Four is standing to my right, but instead of helping me up or saying anything at all, he just looks at me.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" I ask.

"How did you do that?" Four asks.

"Do what?" I question.

"Kick down a wall," Four states.

"Honestly I have no idea," I tell him.

Four finally offers me his hand. I swing my legs over the side of the chair and stand. He sighs and grabs me by the elbow, half leading and half dragging me out of the room.

We walk quickly down the hallway, and then I stop, pulling my arm back. He stares at me in silence. He won't give me information without prompting.

"What the hell is going on? Why won't you say anything? Why did you just drag me out of the room?" I demand.