Chapter 3: Adronitis

Adronitis : Frustration with how long it takes to get to know someone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Booker's POV

I step into the house and to my surprise all of the men and women are gathered around the staircase. To my right my sister stands with Heidi and they stare at me as I walk in. Hunter and Rhys push past me and scan the room.

"Where's Jason?" Rhys asks with a large smile.

My thoughts exactly. Where is he?

"You just missed him." Aria responds and points upstairs.

I look at Rhys who nods his head.

"Third door down the hallway on the right." he tells me.

I can hear Hunter behind me asking everyone what is going on as I rush up the stairs. As I get closer I can smell the same deep caramel type smell I picked up on when I first met him. I knock gently, but there is no answer.

What is up with this boy? He's unlike any guy I'd ever met before. I don't know anyone who just doesn't shift. Anxiety claws at my chest as I consider for possibly the first time ever, being rejected by my mate.

I knock again, praying that he answers, but there's nothing.

"Hey, I just want to talk." I murmur into the crack in the door.

I hear Jason shift behind it, but he doesn't answer.

"Please." I ask the door again, but there is still no response.

I sigh and wander down the steps. Something about the way everyone is acting let's me know that this would not be the mate experience I had expected.

"So..." Hunter murmurs.

I chuckle, suddenly finding my situation to be quite funny. A werewolf that doesn't want to be a werewolf. Who would have thought? A man like this actually exists.

"I thought this would go a lot smoother than this."

My mom laughs and pulls me into a hug. I hug her back and she squeezes me tightly. Then Jason's mom puts a hand on my shoulder.

"He just needs a little time." she smiles reassuringly and gives me a half hug.

But how long? It seems like all my friends just found their mates, marked them immediately and fell madly in love in a day. I thought that once I actually found my mate that everything would just fall into place so easily. However, this was the complete opposite of what I expected.

I've always found that I was attracted to boys and girls, so I was completely open to whoever came my way. All I've ever wanted was someone to protect. Someone to love. Now I'm not sure how to treat someone who wants to act like I don't even exist.

"I understand." I nod returning her smile.

"I'm sure you all are tired from your journey. Rhys can show you to your cabins and if you guys would like to meet here at 5:30 for dinner, we're having steak." Alpha Jamison says, taking the attention off of me.

"That sounds great." my father nods graciously and Rhys leads us out the door to a large cabin across from the pack house.

"This is the guest house." Rhy says gesturing to it. "Nicest cabin all throughout here I assure you."

"If it has a bed, I am all set." my father responds with a chuckle as we step inside.

I scan my surroundings. It's a dark wood log cabin. It is open floors similar to the pack house. There is a kitchen on my right and a living room to my left. Through the living room I see a small alcove with a staircase.