Chapter 4: Trepidation

Trepidation: a feeling of fear or agitation about something that may happen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jason's POV

My mother and Thea bustle throughout the kitchen hurriedly. Soon the Alpha and Beta of the Metanoia pack will be joining us along with their families. Which also means soon Booker will be under the same roof as me.

I watch my mom carefully sauté bright green beans in a skillet. Her eyes sparklingly as she let's her creativity flow out her hands in the form of spices and seasonings. Thea is close behind her pulling sizzling baked potatoes from the oven. They are a team. Ever since my mother met Thea her first day with our pack, Elysian, the two were partners in crime. I couldn't imagine my mother without Thea by her side.

They pile enough steaks to feed the entire pack on to a large platter and place bowls of vegetables around it. I stare at the huge feast with hungry eyes.

"Come on Jason. We have to set up the tables." Rhys calls and I stand up from my stool.

"I don't understand the point of having the whole pack here. I don't think Darius really cares to meet everyone." I grumble following my brother outside.

Hunter, Ian and Pierce are already out there fiddling with the leg of a large plastic table. Four tables are already set up, but we would need 6 rows. Two tables in each to fit all 96 members of the pack.

I begin to count the chairs they already set up, making sure to take extra time identifying all 16 on one side of the table before moving on to the next.

"Get over here cupcake." Ian grunts as he and Pierce place another table down.

I sigh and walk over to them.

"Well you all are working together and I don't think I can pull them out my self." I growl gesturing to the stack of tables laying on the grass.

"I can help." a voice says ahead of us.

I look up to see the vivid green eyes of Booker staring back at me. His chest is emphasized by his tight white t-shirt and I force myself to maintain eye contact.

"Booker!" Hunter greets dropping the table he's carrying. "We could use some help."

"No. I think we are just fine." I insist, dragging a long white table across the grass to connect another.

I stand it up and pull hard on the leg, but it stays locked in place. The smell of cinnamon engulfs me as someone walks over and presses a button on the bar I'm holding. His arm brushes mine as he pulls away and the leg of the table releases into my hand.

"Thanks." I say without making eye contact.

He moves to the other end of the table and sets up the leg before nodding towards my end of the table. I move to it and we both pick up the table and stand it up. We continue to work in silence as the other boys chat and joke behind us.

Once we are finished the boys look at me with devilish smiles.

"After dinner." Hunter states with a smile.