Chapter 23: Casuistry

Casuistry: (n.) deceptive or excessively subtle reasoning

---------------------------------------------------

"Just knock." Ian encourages, gesturing to the cabin door in front of us.

"I hate when they're mad at me." I argue.

With that, Ian leans forward and taps on the door with his knuckles. I glare at him as he gives me a thumbs up and rushes away towards his own cabin. Just as I'm about to yell something at his retreating figure, the door in front of me swings open to reveal an angry looking Acer.

I rub the back of my  neck nervously as he stares at me with eyebrows raised. He leans against the door frame and crosses his arms. I look down at my feet and trace the ground with my shoe.

"I'm sorry." I mumble.

"Hm?" Acer hums in question.

"I'm sorry." I say a little louder.

"Who's at the door?" I hear Booker call out from within the cabin.

"No one." Acer says and I look up at him with hurt eyes.

However, to my surprise he has the slightest bit of a smirk on his face. Suddenly Booker's face appears above Acer's shoulder and he grins at me widely. Within seconds I'm being wrapped in a warm embrace and pulled into the cabin.

"You think I couldn't smell him?" Booker accuses, kissing my neck gently before letting me go. "You've got him all stressed out, see?"

Booker grabs my arm and lifts it up so that Acer can see my shaking hand. I pull my arm away from him quickly, only to be grabbed from behind by Acer. He places his chin on my shoulder and his hand over my heart. The beat pounds hard against his hand revealing my nerves.

"Sorry Jay, but you were mean to me." Acer pouts.

I step away from him and shake my head.

"I thought you guys were mad at me." I confess in surprise.

Booker laughs and shakes his head.

"Acer might have been, but I sure wasn't."

"You force-fielded me!" Acer argues, looking at me in frustration.

At that, Booker begins laughing hysterically. After a few moments I can't help but join in as well, losing my breath to my giggles. Acer crosses his arms and pouts again at first, but then his chuckles turn into breathy wheezing.

"I...I'm.. s-sorry... about..... that." I choke out between laughs.

"Alright alright." Acer attempts to quiet us as he wipes away happy tears from his eyes. "It's okay, but we do need to talk."

I sigh and wipe away my own tears that had begun to stream down my face from laughing. I nod my head and follow them both to the kitchen table. Acer adventurs into the kitchen and brings over three cups of coffee with cream. I eye the coffee, but decide against it. Caffeine always spikes my anxiety.

"So..." Booker begins awkwardly.

"So..." I repeat.

Acer rolls his eyes and motions for me to speak.

"Tell Booker what you told me." Acer encourages.

"Well you see..." I state cautiously, looking up at Booker.

"You want us to stay away from you until you've finished your training." Booker speaks for me and takes a sip of his coffee.

I raise my eyebrows at his casual tone. Not what I expected from a boy with a short temper and alpha blood coursing through his veins. I grip the handle of my coffee mug tightly.