Chapter 5: Opia

Opia : The ambiguous intensity of looking someone in the eye, which can feel simultaneously invasive and vulnerable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jason's POV

"Here he is, the man of the hour!" Ian laughs and presses his hands on my shoulders to propel himself into the air.

"Stop making a big deal about it or else everyone else will to." I hiss and glance at my brothers talking to each other giddily.

"Everyone already is." Ian rolls his eyes. "You can't expect to not shift for like two months and expect no one to get excited when you finally do."

"No one would care if my coat wasn't fucking white." I practically spit as our group comes to a stop near the large bonfire.

"I mean look on the bright side, they'd care more if your coat was bright blue." he teases.

I scan my surroundings. Children are roasting marshmallows and their parents sit around the fire watching them cautiously. I hear others running through the woods in their wolf state and note that some cabin lights are on. This might not be as painful as I originally thought. There isn't so many people outside.

"Okay do it!" Hunter urges me.

I turn towards the alphas and betas waiting patiently. Booker steps forward with a smile. I remember what the boys said earlier and step back as he approaches.

"Same time?" he asks.

That same familiar scent of sweet cinnamon fills my nostrils and my body buzzes. I begin to feel a sense of urgency throughout my entire being.

"Yea! We can do it at the same time!" Ian agrees joining us.

"You're making me feel like a child." I scoff.

"You're acting like a child." Pierce sighs cuddling up to his mate that had joined us after dinner.

I don't know her well, but I appreciate her as she tells him angrily to be nice. The two young girls sit next to them and when they catch my eye they wave excitedly. I can tell that they are practically vibrating with anticipation.

"Hurry up!" Pierce calls, distracting me from Sage and Wren.

"Fuck you Pierce." I reply.

"Jason." my father says warningly.

Out of no where Booker grabs me and I am suffocated in his scent. My brain swirls with smells and feelings. My body tingles everywhere his skin makes contact with my own. I push away from him feeling slightly embarrassed with our parents watching, but it's too late. The proximity of my mate drives the wolf side of me wild and I shift without even trying.

Sage leaps up from the ground cheering and drags Wren over to see me. Booker shifts next to me and to my surprise his coat is a dark pure black. Also a rarity.

We're like yin and yang.

Complete and total opposites yet somehow we were supposed to fall madly in love with each other, but I guess that's how yin and yang works. You need them both to have harmony