Chapter 9: Accismus

Accismus : feigning disinterest in something while actually desiring it.

------------------------------------------

I quietly slip out of my room and into the hallway. I know I'm not supposed to leave the infirmary, but I feel fine. I'm getting bored staying in here alone and I still haven't gotten to see Ian yet. Booker told me he had visited tons while I was still asleep, but since waking up he hasn't been able to stop by.

I make my way down the hallway and out the door.

"Not so fast." I hear Lali chuckle behind me and sigh.

"Lali, I'm dying in here." I moan.

I turn around to see  her tanned, lively face staring back at me. Her angular, chocolate brown eyes look me over carefully as she raises an eyebrow. Lali steps forward out of her office and crosses her arms.

"No, snowflake. You died out there." she says with a laugh.

I laugh too at that one. It's become humorous to look back on. After so much time trying to prove myself as a normal human being, I magically bring someone back to life and decide to die while I'm at it. And then resurrect. It's funny now that I even thought I could lead an average life.

"Can I just go see Ian?" I beg and she smiles.

"You're free to go." Lali nods. "But come back before dinner for another check up."

As I walk out the door I suddenly remember the glass. My foot had been injured just a few days ago. I walk to the pack-house and once I reach the door, I sit on the steps. I remove my shoe and sock and examine the bottom of my foot.

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

Not a scratch nor a fading scar.

How could that be possible?

I put my sock and shoe back on, not wanting to think about it.

"Jay Jay!" I hear Sage yell.

I look up to see her approaching with Dean and Thea. She runs to me and wraps her small arms around me tightly. Happiness bursts through me when I see her and I squeeze her back.

"I've missed you." I smile as she let's go.

"I missed you too." she grins and looks at her mother. "Can I go play with Eva?"

Thea nods and the small red-head runs off.

"No woods!" she calls towards her daughter panicky.

"I know!" Sage calls behind her.

Dean and Thea turn to me. An odd sense of embarrassment wraps it's arms around me. Thea steps forward and embraces me.

"Thank you." she whispers. "I don't think there is anything I can do that will ever repay you, but thank you."

She let's go and steps back. Tears welling in all of our eyes. I stand up and look at both of them seriously.

"I promised her I'd protect her." I tell them. 

One night when we were younger, all of the kids were outside playing in the woods at night. Everyone decided that hide and seek would be a good idea. Sage must have only been three then. She told me she was scared to hide alone and her siblings had gone running, so I told her I'd hide with her. While crouching behind a bush, we heard a rustling sound behind us in the dark. I assured her it was nothing and even abandoned our hiding spot to show her the culprit, a large raccoon. Then I promised her I'd keep her safe, but I meant it. I meant it always.