Chapter 16: Nepenthe

Nepenthe: something that can make you forget grief or suffering.

------------------------------

"Ouch." someone whispers and I can feel the bracelet on my wrist being tugged at.

"Let me do it. It won't effect me." another whisper says. "Damn I forgot we need a key. We'll have to take him like this."

I don't have the energy to open my eyes. Instead I attempt to place the voices to faces in my brain. Suddenly I feel the iv being pulled out of my arm and I flinch slightly at the cold hands.

"It's alright Jace, it's just me." one of the voices whispers.

Destrian. He didn't leave me to die. He came back for me. Other arms try to lift me and in the midst I pick up on a sweet floral smell. Lavender. 

"I've got you." Acer says, pulling my weak body into his chest. "How much time until Dmitri returns?"

"He'll be back any minute. We need to get out of here now." Destrian responds. "Let me run him to the car. You're faster when you shift."

Acer hesitates momentarily before I feel myself being handed over gently to Destrian. If I wasn't so ill, I would cheer. However, the Darminite bracelet is still clasped around my wrist and the bullet wound remains in my chest.

Destrian and I come to an abrupt stop and I guess we must have made it to the car. Suddenly both of us are thrown to the side. I force my eyes open and light floods my vision.

"You really came back to save him again?" Dmitri asks distastefully.

My vision clears and I can see that Dmitri has pinned Destrian against the red door of his jeep. I lean my back against a large rock situated next to the jeep. A low growl rips through the air and I look away from them to the woods on my right. Sure enough, a gorgeous brown wolf stands at the edge. 

Acer carefully steps towards us. Dmitri laughs again, tightening his hold on Destrian's throat. He claws at Dmitri's hand, however, it's no use. I want to yell at him to stop, but I'm too weak to make any noise above a whisper.

"I'll take care of this one and then move on to the dog." Dmitri threatens distastefully.

Acer jumps at him and it's enough to distract Dmitri from Destrian. I weakly attempt to pull the gem out of it's place as Acer is thrown into the woods. The pain in my body increases as my fingers make direct contact with the Darminite. Anger and panic build up in my chest as I see him switch from wolf to human and slide across the gravel.

Dmitri picks Acer up from the ground and throws him against a tree. Acer yelps in pain and it's as if I can feel his pain myself. I desperately tug at the Derminite, which barely seems to move under my weak grasp. Destrian hops into his car and drives full force at Dmitri.

There's a loud bang, but Dmitri remains standing. The front of the red jeep completely demolished. The bumper drags across the ground as Destrian backs away. Dmitri jumps onto the hood and smashes the glass. I look over to Acer who is pulling himself off the ground. 

He runs to me, but suddenly Dmitri is there between us. My heart beats wildly in my chest. Acer looks at me with big, terrified eyes and guilt sinks into my bones. A trail of blood trickles down his face and he clutches his side with a pained expression.

"Just face it!" Dmitri yells. "You can not defeat me."

"Acer leave me. Just go. You're hurt." I insist.

"Yes Acer, leave him and take your friend in the jeep with you." Dmitri taunts.

"No." Acer shakes head.