Chapter 21: Svengali

Svengali: a person who completely dominates another; usually with selfish or sinister motives.

--------------------

"Alright, first of all, thank you everyone for actually making the effort to be here on time." Rhys greets the growing crowd.

I scan the clearing we're all gathered in. I have rarely been on the training grounds so being here now unsettles me. The amount of people makes me even more uncomfortable so I find myself standing close to Booker and Acer. Although they know less people than I do, they seem much more content.

The clearing is a few miles deep into the woods. It is a large circular dirt filled circle. Surrounding it are wooden bleachers and behind them trees upon trees. We're in complete seclusion. The perfect place for werewolves to switch undetected.

"Since school is ending for most of you or classes have already come to an end for others, welcome to your first day of summer training." Rhys continues.

Cheers spring out around us, but I remain quiet. Training isn't something I am particularly excited for. As if sensing my apprehension, Acer slips his hand into mine and squeezes lightly. I give him a reassuring smile and a careful nod before letting go. I glance around to see if anyone saw the interaction, but it seems to have gone unnoticed.

We start with a mile jog. People are quick to shift into their wolf form in an attempt to make the run more bearable. However, Rhys insists everyone maintain their human identity for the run, which I am thankful for. Athletics have always come easy to me and I've been beginning to miss runs with my football team before practice. Somehow I find myself at the front of the pack.

I sit on the ground upon returning to the training grounds and Acer and Booker plop down besides me.

"Jason flash, back at it again." I hear Blaze's voice out of nowhere and a rough pat on my back.

"Whatever, Blaze." I say, looking up at the dark haired boy behind me.

He opens his mouth to say something with a satisfied smile, but one of his friends catches his attention.

 "I heard someone grumble it behind us." Acer tells me with a laugh, reaching a hand up to wipe away some of the sweat rolling over his forehead. "I was wondering what that was all about."

"Yes! During football I heard that all the time when we'd play your team." Booker agreed. "Jason Lasch the flash."

I roll my eyes at the nickname, but nod my head anyway. I've always been fast which is one of the reasons I decided to even run track after football season. But getting too much attention for my speed outside of a game or a meet has always made me a little uncomfortable.

"I forgot you played football." I tease Booker, which is a lie.

Booker's school is 30 minutes away so we would only play them once during the season. Otherwise we stick mostly to schools in our district. However, I know he is a talented quarter back and my coach would warn me about him, but I never really knew his name. Just his number.

"Oh please. I bet you were shaking in your cleats when you heard you'd be playing me." Booker pushes me playfully.

"What about you Acer? Did you play football?" I ask, turning to the honey-eyed boy next to me.

"No, I was more of a lacrosse boy." Acer grins.

"Everyone gather back to the dirt grounds!" Rhys voice calls.