Chapter 17: Drapetomani

Drapetomani: an overwhelming urge to run away

------------------------------------------

Lali crosses her arms from her rolling chair across from my bed and taps her foot. She hasn't said a word to me since entering the room, instead she is waiting for me to say something. She types something down on the computer and then looks back to me. I sigh softly.

"I know Lali. I know I need to stop using my abilities, but Violet is just a little girl and Acer is my mate." I attempt to justify my actions, but to no avail.

"Your temperature is stable and your heart rate is beginning to normalize." Lali states as she stands up and looks at the monitors above my head.

"Come on, Lali. I'm sorry." I insist.

She looks at me sharply.

"Snowflake, I'm not angry about Violet or the man who was shot. Those were out of your control. You need training." she says as she moves back to her computer. "I am mad about Acer. Your mates are your biggest weakness and you need to learn how to control that before people use it against you."

I nod, not knowing how else to respond.

"You are the most unlucky out of all of the Salamas I have met." she ventures, shaking her head. "Two mates. Double the temptation."

"I suppose I am." I sigh heavily, wanting to move on from the subject. "How is Destrian?" 

"Your vampire friend?" she asks with a light-hearted laugh. "He's fine, left a few hours ago actually. He needed some stitches for his glass cuts and suffered a bit of a concussion, but he'll be alright."

"Was dad an ass to him?" I ask her bluntly.

"No, Jason. He just asked that he leave as soon as possible, because vampires and werewolves in the same place never goes well. You'd know." She jokes and I chuckle. "His parents came and got him."

"And Lillian?" I question.

"Poor thing needed a blood transfusion because of that vampire bastard." she shakes her head as she moves the hospital gown to check on my wound. "But she's doing much better. Rhys' mate, Grace, never left her side."

"Grace is here?" I ask in surprise, she goes to a college about an hour away and often travels back and forth to visit.

"Yes." she smiles as she moves to the computer and types something down.

"Rhys must be ecstatic." I grin, reflecting on the many days he moped without her.

"He is." she nods. "Alright, everything is looking well. Thankfully, you werewolves heal much faster than humans. I'll let you return to the pack-house with the condition that you call me if your fever returns and come back tomorrow."

"Okay." I sit up and wince at the pain in my ribcage. "Thanks Lali."

"Now can you promise me you will come back tomorrow, we'll say noon?"

"I promise."

"And no healing anyone in the mean time." she says pointedly, handing me a key to the locker room where I know my clothes will be.

"I'll do my best as always." I assure her and escape down the hallway to retrieve my clothes.

Once changed, I venture outside to find everyone. When I reach the pack-house Aria, Heidi, Lillian and Grace are sitting in the living room in a tight circle. They have a large bowl of popcorn in the center and polaroid photos strewn across the carpet.