Chapter 7: Mizpah

Mizpah : The deep emotional bond between people, especially those separated by distance or death.

------------------------------------------------

Jason's POV

As Lali opens the door to the pack house in order to exit, there is a shrill scream that rings throughout the entire home. We all look at each other and everyone begins rushing out the door. I stand, wincing as I put pressure on my injured foot, and follow  them towards the door.

From a distance we can see Wren running to us from the edge of the woods with wide, terrified eyes. She grabs Lali's arm and begins dragging her towards the direction she came from while everyone starts asking her questions.

"Sage! It's Sage!" she yells and my heart falls into my feet. "She fell out of a tree and she's not moving."

Wren begins to sob while Thea, Dean and Lali begin sprinting towards the woods. Wren falls into her mother's arms, shaking. Her parents try to comfort her, but even their presence isn't enough to ease the small child's anxieties. After a few minutes Dean, Thea and Lali appear again with a limp body in Dean's arms. Heidi falls to the floor and Pierce runs forward.

I sit on the ground at the sight, my head spinning.

Sage was like a little sister to me. Everyone knew it. I was closer to her than Pierce and even Heidi. I use to babysit her when our parents had lengthy meetings and she always tagged along with me to go fishing while everyone else hunted. I grew up knowing I needed to protect her and I did.

However, this time I failed.

The rest of the pack appear from their cabins to see what is going on. Sage is placed on the ground and her siblings rush forward. I snap out of my revere and stand to follow them. Breathing hard as pain burns through my foot with every step. As I approach, I can see Thea clutching Sage's still body against her chest. I look at Lali who shakes her head.

"You have to do something!" Thea screams at Lali. "You have to do something before the death angel comes!"

Everyone knows that once the death angel arrives, the person is truly dead. She will take their soul to the after life and that person will be gone from Earth forever. If you even try to intervene when she comes, you can either be killed or the deceased person's soul will remain restlessly on Earth. Forever stuck in the mortal world without peace.

"Thea, her pulse is gone my love. I am so so sorry." Lali whispers.

A glowing purple light comes from the trees and everyone begins to step back. To my shock Booker grabs me and pulls me quickly away from Sage, but Thea stays there with Sage in her arms.

"Get one of the cars!" she screams. "She needs a hospital!"

"Come here Thea." Dean says gently, tears clouding his teal eyes. "Let her go."

When she doesn't stand, Pierce and Dean pull the mother away from her frail daughter's side. Thea screams and fights them, but they don't let go. The angel appears in a large pinkish purple glow. At the center of the orb I can see a small white form, only slightly larger than Sage herself. She has no features, it is as if she is made of light.