Happy

Friday, which is one of my days off I get a text from Jake.

Jake: hey, it's Jake. Would you want to go to a party with me tomorrow night?

I haven't been to a party in at least a year. I didn't have anything to wear. Should I even say yes?

I sigh and walk downstairs with my phone in hand. "Hey sweetie." Mom says and I give her a light smile.

"Ready for dinner?" She asks. "Yeah, I just have to pee." I say, put my phone down and run to the bathroom.

When I get back food is on the table and silverware in out. Mom gets up and brings a plate to dad and I get a text.

Jake: great. I can pick you up at 8?

What? I never even answered him. I go to my texts and see that I said 'I'd love to go to a party. Parties are fun.' But I didn't say that. I would never say 'parties are fun.' To anyone.

"Mom?" I call and she walks into the dining room. "Yes?" She asks sitting down.

"Did you happen to answer any of my texts?" I ask and she sips her wine. "No, why would I do that?" She doesn't look me in the eyes.

"Mom, what if I didn't want to go that party." I say. "Exactly, I knew you would say no so I said yes." She says.

"Mom, that's not your decision. Why would you do that?" I ask. I was definitely over reacting.

"Tyler, you need to learn to have fun again. Ever since-" she starts.

"Don't" I say and she stops. We eat in silence. "Goodnight." I say rinsing my plate.

"Love you." She says and I say it back.

I have to pick out my outfit.

....

At five pm I still haven't found anything to wear in the horrendous closet of mine.

I sigh in frustration when mom walks in with a bag. "What's that?" I ask and she throws it on my bed.

"I know you don't have any clothes in there so I got you a little something." She says and walks away.

I open it and pull out a shirt and some jeans. I try them on and gasp. That's what I love about my mom. She knows exactly what my style is.

I do my hair and put on some light makeup which consists of lipgloss and mascara. I put on some black boots and look at myself.

 I put on some black boots and look at myself

I can't lie. I look better than I have in a while and it makes me slightly happy.

At 7:55 the doorbell rings and I take a deep breath and walk downstairs to find mom already at the door.

"Aren't you one of those boys who was playing in the street?" She asks and I laugh rushing to the door.

"Mom." I say and Jake looks at me.