Creeper

As I'm skating home from work Saturday afternoon Jake calls me. I pick it up saying hello.

"Hey, would you want to come over today?" He asks as I almost trip over a pine cone.

"Um I would but I have online classes to do." I reply trying not to sound mean. "Oh, well if it was cool with you I could come over..."

I immediately brighten. "Yes, that'd be great." I say smiling. "Okay, I'll be over in 15." He says and we say goodbye.

I rush home so I can clean up a bit before Jake gets to my house. I clean my room and pick up some stuff in the living room before the doorbell rings.

I answer is quickly and smile as I open the door. "Hello." I say. "Hello." He replies.

"Welcome to my crib." I say and he walks in laughing. "It's a nice crib." He says.

"Thank you sir." I say leading him to my room. "This is where I sleep and do basically everything." I say sitting on my bed.

He looks around. He picks up a picture frame of me and my sister, Lily. "Who's this?" He asks. "That's my sister. She passed last year." I say swallowing the lump in my throat.

"I'm sorry." He says awkwardly and I just nod keeping my head down.

"So you do online school?" He asks and I nod again. "Yeah it usually takes a maximum of two hours."

"Cool" He says. "You want a snack?" I ask. "Yeah I could use something to eat." He says.

"Okay." I lead him to the kitchen and open the counters to show him what we have. "Ouu goldfish." He says snatching up the goldfish.

I laugh grabbing a lemonade from the fridge and handing him one. We walk back up to my room and I get started working on my classes.

I play music at one point and start dancing to Star Shopping by Lil Peep.

Jake watches me smiling. "So when's your birthday?" He asks. "Next Saturday." I say spinning.

"Okay, would you be able to come over?" He asks. "I don't know if you're hanging with your family or if you're hanging with other friends." He says that and I laugh.

"Jake, I have no other friends." I say and he laughs as if I'm kidding.

I'm hopping around to Jeepers Creepers by Mikes Dead screaming, "Jeepers Creepers whos this man up in my speakers got me bouncing out my sneakers when he talks about the reaper."

And then I notice Jake holding his phone up laughing. "Jake you are not recording me." I say. He puts his phone down.

"I'm not." He says clearly lying.

"Give me the phone." I say scared he might have posted it. "Come get it." He says holding the phone up.

I look at him and then lunge for it. He's quick and moves his arm out the way. I go for it again and he runs out the room.

We run down the stairs and into the living room. I'm close enough so I jump up onto Jakes back.

"Give me it." I yell. "No." He replies and falls on the couch. We're both laughing like maniacs.

"Don't post that." I say to him and he looks away guilty. "Jake." I say.

He looks up at me and and I realize I'm halfway on top of him on my couch. "You want the phone?" He asks quietly.

"Yes." I whisper.

"Take it." He whispers back. I look at him and then his lips.

I lean in. "Tyler." I jump so hard I fall off the couch. I look up from the ground hair in my face.

"Dad?" I ask.

"Does your mom know a boy is over?" He asks. "I- I mean no but." I'm so shocked that he has come out of his office.

"Then get him out." He says. "Dad-" I start. "I said get him out." He states.

"Dad, he's my friend." I argue. "Oh really? Friend?" He raises his eyebrow.

"It's okay, I can leave." Jake says. "No, Jake I-" he cuts me off. "It's okay Ty. I'll text you." He says smiling at me.

No one has ever called me by a nickname before. I liked it. Especially when Jake did it.

"Okay, bye." I say waving to Jake as he leaves.

Dads gone as soon as Jakes out the door. That was great. He comes out and tells my friend to leave. No, asking how my day was or even a simple hello.

But then again what did I expect?

I walk up to my room now in a bad mood and finish my classes and watch tv the rest of the day.

I fall asleep humming to Lil Peep and playing with Jakes beanie he left. I know I'm a creeper. Don't remind me.