Laughter

I wake Monday morning to my phone ringing obnoxiously. I groan and pick it up. "Hello?" I ask grumpily into the phone.

"Hey, sorry did I wake you?" Jake asks and I sit up quickly. "No." I say and I hear him laugh through the phone.

"Okay, well do you work today?" He asks and I nod and then realize he can't see me

"Yes, why?" I ask rubbing my eyes. "Well I was thinking that for your break I could come and we could talk I guess." He says.

"Yeah that would be great. My breaks at 2:30." I say smiling like a dork.

"Okay well I'll see you then." He says and I hang up. I smile and then stop. Don't get attached. I think to myself and then breathe.

I get and and get dressed and walk downstairs smiling. "Good morning." I say and mom smiles. "Good morning." She was back.

We eat and then I leave for work. I blast Rotten by Mikes Dead of course. I only listen to him and Lil Peep.

I get to work and start putting condiments on tables right away. I patiently wait until my break.

Jake comes in right before my break and I try not to look too excited. "Hey." I say. "Hey." He says smiling. He really does have a nice smile.

"Tyler your break." My boss yells and I wave Jake over to a small table.

"How was your day so far?" He asks and I think. I've made pretty good tips and nothing bad has happened.

"Pretty good actually." I say. "What about you?" I ask.

"Well Colby decided to eat all the Lucky Charms so there's that." He says and I laugh. "But other than that it was fine." He says .

"So I listened to the Mikes Dead guy." He says.

"Really? What did you think? Did you like it? If you didn't I'm leaving."
I say and Jake laughs.

"Calm down. I really liked it and he seem like a cool guy." Jake says and I nod.

"I know. I actually love him so much. He's just- ugh." I can't even try to explain my love for him.

"I get it." He says and I breathe.

"Sorry about that." I laugh nervously.

"So how old are you because if you're like 30 I'm running." I say.

"Oh. I'm 41..." He says slowly. I get up and walk back to the kitchen. "Tyler" he calls.

I come back laughing. "I'm 20" He says. "Okay I'm nineteen and I'll twenty in month. October 2nd" I say and he nods.

"So..you- you don't-" he stutters "Spit it out Jake." I laugh. "You don't have a boyfriend right?" He rushes out.

"I don't." I laugh. "You have girlfriend?" He asks. "No Jake. I'm straight and don't have a boyfriend." I say and he breathes out.

"Okay." He says and I laugh.

"You don't have a boyfriend or girlfriend right?" I ask and he nods.

We talk for another ten minutes about random things and I'm laughing so hard my side hurts.

"Tyler back to work." Lillian yells at me and I look at Jake. "Well this was fun but I have to get back to work now." I smile at him and he smiles back.

"Okay well I'll text you." He says and I nod.

He leaves and before I start serving again Lillian holds me. "I like that boy.
I haven't seen you even smile in a while but he could make you laugh like..." she says to me and I tense up.

Don't get attached. Don't get attached

I'm not attached. I could live without Jake.

"Keep him." She says and I give a small smile and get back to work serving everyone.

....

At home Jake texts me telling me to expect him at the restaurant some other time this week.

I take a shower after my classes and then go to sleep. Again. I go to bed happy.

Thanks to Jake. Jake.