insecure

★

You look in the fully body mirror with a frown.

Recently you haven't been happy with how you look. One day you saw your reflection and decided you weren't skinny enough.

That was two weeks ago. Ever since, you've been wearing baggy clothes and even skipping a few meals each day.

Your boyfriend, Noah, luckily hasn't noticed, or so you think. He hasn't said anything about it if he has.

After a few more seconds, you sigh and decide you've seen enough.

It only takes ten minutes to reach your school where you'll be meeting up with Noah. You spot him leaning against his car like always.

When he sees you heading his way, a grin immediately appears on his face. His arms go around your waist for a hug once you finally reach him. "Hi baby."

You smile against his chest. "Hi."

He gently squeezes before pulling away. You notice he now looks confused. "Have you been working out or something?"

Your eyes widen slightly and you start to panic a little. "No, why?"

He grips your waist and frowns. "I don't know, you just feel a lot lighter."

His words relieve you.
That's what you were going for.

You pull yourself out of his arms and smile nervously. "I've been dieting."

He scoffs. "Why the fuck would you be doing that? You were perfectly fine before."

You slowly nod. "I-I know, I just wanted to eat a little healthier." You lie.

He looks at you unsurely but doesn't question you any further. You grab his hand and the both of you walk towards your first class.

"Guess what I brought you Y/N." Your best friend wiggles her eyebrows as she sits next to you.

You giggle and sit up straighter. "I don't know, tell me."

She pulls out a plastic bag from her backpack. "My mom baked those cookies that you're obsessed with and I made sure to bring a couple extra for you today."

You freeze for a second but quickly cover it up by sending her a smile. "Really? Thanks Y/F/N."

She nods and hands you the bag.
After a few seconds, she frowns. "Are you not going to eat them?"

You shrug. "Not right now, i'm not feeling too good."

If you tell her the real reason, she'll just worry. Same with Noah, who's sitting on the other side of you, watching your encounter.

Y/F/N shrugs and goes back to her lunch.

Noah nudging your side makes you direct your attention towards him. He's looking at you with suspicion. "We need to talk." His voice is a bit stern and you can tell right away that he's catching on, that is if he hasn't already.

You pretend to be confused and tilt your head a little. "About?"

He narrows his eyes on you. "You know, Y/N."

You stare at him silently for a few seconds before slowly nodding. "Okay."

Your parents are always at work late so you and Noah spend a lot of time together at your house. Today feels a little different though, as you walk through the front door of your home.

You set your bag down as Noah closes the door, before you both head towards the kitchen.

"Are you hungry? I can make you a sandwich or something-" Noah suddenly grabs onto your hips and spins you around.

"Why haven't you been eating?" He stares down at you with his eyebrows furrowed.

Once again, you pretend to be confused. "What are you talking about?"

He sighs. "Let me see your stomach." He goes to lift up your shirt but you quickly back away.

"Stop Noah, i'm fine." You say sternly.

He steps forward and grabs onto the fabric of your shirt again. "If you're fine then show me your stomach."

You shake your head and try to push his hands away. "Noah seriously, don't worry about it, i'm-" You stop talking when he gets a strong enough grip to finally lift your shirt up.

His jaw clenches and he curses under his breath. "Jesus Y/N, what the fuck were you thinking?!"

You look down and cover your stomach again, staying silent as he paces around in front of you.

"You haven't been eating as much as you're supposed to and I know you skip meals. Did you think I wouldn't notice?" He sounds angry and you cower back a little, since this is the first time you've seen him like this. His eyes soften when he notices. "Just tell me why? I want to help you Y/N." He begs.

You can feel your wall slowly crumble down as he speaks. You swallow and open your mouth to answer but nothing comes out.

Noah's eyes are filled with worry and concern, which makes you feel guilty. You had no idea he knew what was going on. You didn't think he was that observant.

"Listen to me baby." He cups your face. "You're perfect, okay? There is nothing wrong with the way you looked before. Skipping as many meals as you do is unhealthy, you know that."

Tears form in your eyes and you can feel all the emotions you've kept in these past few weeks start to escape.

So he really did notice I wasn't eating.

"Please, please stop starving yourself, I can't stand seeing you like this." He brushes your hair behind your ear as he continues to stare at you with sadness. "Your body is beautiful and it always will be, no matter how much you weigh."

You laugh even as the tears roll down your cheeks. "It's not that simple. You can't just tell me to be happy with my body and expect it to happen right away."

Noah uses his thumb to rub your cheekbone. "That's why i'm here Y/N. If you ever feel insecure, or if you ever need someone to talk to, i'm here for you. I want to help you see how truly beautiful you are, whether that's at one hundred or three hundred pounds."

You stare at him in silence for a few seconds before throwing your arms around him and nuzzling your face into his chest. "I love you Noah."

"I love you more Y/N, don't forget that."