Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Ella's POV:

I had a half-day at school today. It was short and sweet. Well, not really sweet, but whatever. Olivia texted me last night, asking if I wanted to go out and have coffee with her after school. I said yes so we could catch up, and it will help keep my mind off stressful things.

I haven't seen Declan in a couple of days. He hasn't been in school. I can't help but think it's because of me. The last time I saw him was when he brought me to the park to get my truck. Does he regret having me over that night? I'm trying not to think about him, but he always pops back up.

There were only periods one through five today, and they're shortened. My mom won't be home later because she has to work, and then she's going to Julian's after. Thomas has a football game, so he probably will stay with friends after the game or something.

Wait, Declan's on the football team, and if I go, I might see him. Well, if he even shows up at the game. But I hate going to those events, there are too many people and it's way too crowded. I hate walking through or pushing through people, especially when their bodies touch yours. It's gross and it makes me claustrophobic.

Maybe if I ask Olivia if I could go with her, it would be better.

I know she likes those kinds of things, and it would be a lot better if she were there. Should I though? Maybe I shouldn't. I don't want it to look like I'm a stalker who can't go one day without seeing him.

But I'm worried, what if something bad happened? Or what if he just doesn't want to see me. I should just stay out of his business and leave him alone. If he hasn't talked to me, he probably doesn't want to see me.

I'm on my way to meet Olivia at our local café. We used to come here all the time after my soccer practice and her cross country practice, but I haven't been here in a couple of years. They have really good coffee, though. The café is like a little cozy place that people come to, to do homework at. Olivia and I always sat at the same window seat with our coffee. We would talk and gossip for hours.

Olivia is already at our seat when I walk in. She's looking out the window, drinking her iced coffee. She looks happy and relaxed. I take long, quick strides to the table.

"Hey." Olivia waves, greeting me with a smile.

"Hi," I say, taking a seat across from her.

"I ordered your usual, an iced caramel mocha latte, with a little bit of sugar. I hope that's alright." She chimes, eyeing me to see if that was okay.

I smile, kind of surprised she even remembered. "You remembered."

Olivia waves her hand like it's no big deal, "How could I forget? We used to come here like every day."

It's just now hitting me how much I've missed her. You know she's your best friend when she memorizes your order, even when it's been like forever. "I've missed this." I murmur, gesturing between us.

"You and me both." Olivia pauses, "So what's new, Ella?"

"Absolutely nothing. My life is boring. What about you?" I shrug my shoulders. I'm not going to tell her I watch Netflix all day.

"Oh come on, Ella. I know you better than that. I've seen you with that boy, Declan." She smirks. "What's up with you two?"

I thought I could get out of talking about Declan, but Olivia can see right through me. Is there something going on with Declan? No, I don't think so. We're friends. Well actually, I don't know what we are. I just know that he keeps showing up. Her asking me about him as if I know him though has my cheeks flushing with color.