Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Ella's POV:

Loud coughs erupt deep in my throat, a dry, scratchy feeling that itches like crazy. The harshness of it wakes me up as my coughs try to relieve the uncomfortableness, my eyes sputtering open in short rapid blinks, clearing my spotty vision.

After a long moment, I'm able to take in my surroundings. A carpeted floor that's not my own, the room small and square with boxes piled in the corner, a tiny window leaking little light up towards the ceiling, and this awful smell singeing my nose.

What is this place? Why am I here?

I try to move my hands to help me stand up, but ropes bind my wrists together in a tight hold, halting any possible movements as well as my ankles. What is this?

I try to pull my hands apart with all my strength, but the rope just cuts into my skin painfully, cutting off my circulation. My skin burns hot underneath the rope, a warm substance sliding down to my palms. Looking down, a red gooey liquid is prominent against my pale skin.

Blood. These ropes are way too tight.

Memories come crashing into my brain, like a whiplash knocking the breath right out of my lungs. Kidnapped, I was kidnapped and drugged. Does my mom know I'm gone? What about Thomas or Julian or Declan? How long has it even been? A couple of hours? A day? More?

Heaviness seems to weigh down my chest, panic settling deep under my ribcage. A coat of moisture glosses my eyes, threatening to spill in pools. The noise of my heart is so loud it's making my ears ring.

I will kill you. The deep voice rings sharp in my head. One thing is for certain, I need to get out of here.

I can't breathe, I can't breathe, I can't breathe. Screams started tearing out of me, sharp and piercing, and completely terrified screams of help. "Help!" I scream so loud my entire body begins to shutter. "Someone, please help me." Again, I scream and scream and scream until my voice rang raw.

Helpless, horrified sobs wrack my body; I have never done well in stressful situations.

Through my silent sobs, I can still pick up the heavy footsteps thumping somewhere on the outside of this room. No matter how much I want or need help, the sound of those footsteps do not relieve the terror I was feeling. In fact, it enhanced it.

Are they coming to hurt me? Are they planning to kill me; oh god, they're going to kill me. The thought was anxiety at its breaking point.

With a frightening bang, the door slams open, hitting the wall; a tall figure then walks in, flicking a light switch with a click. Bright light now illuminates the room, causing my teary eyes to blink and adjust.

I look at the person with a fear I've never felt before. It was a man, a man with dark brown hair and just as dark blue eyes. No matter how much I didn't want to say it, he was attractive, and for some reason, he looked familiar. What a crazy thought, I dismiss it instantly. I didn't know any kidnappers, that was definite.

Those blue eyes watch me, studying me before closing the space between us, and kneeling right in front of me. "Well, aren't you a pretty girl." He murmurs, his voice deep and husky as his hand comes up to caress my damp cheek.

I swing my head away in attempts of avoiding the contact, hating the sound of his velvety voice. It doesn't work. A dark chuckle erupts from his throat, his touch making me feel powerless, ashamed.

Another round of warm tears streak my face. "W-where am I? Why a-am I h-here?" I stutter, my lips trembling in sync with the rest of my body. I was having my own personal earthquake, and if I don't calm down soon, I'm going to have a panic attack.