Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Declan's POV:

I hold Ella's small frame tight to me but gentle; she's so fragile. I upset her; I upset the one person who I never want to hurt. Her body trembles under me, as I whisper sweet things to her.

Why am I such an idiot? Why do I always say something stupid? The pain on her face when I told her I would handle it. She looked scared; she was so scared of me getting hurt.

I take her hands in mine and rub small circles on her thumbs. "I'm sorry," I whisper. She buries her head into my chest. Her long wavy hair is all tangled, covering her pretty face. I brush her hair back and place a kiss on her forehead.

I sit on the bathroom floor, holding her tight to me. I would stand up and bring her to the sofa, but I know she needs me right now. I know she needs the reassurance that I'm going to be okay, that I will never leave her.

God, I love her so much. I felt horrible after getting mad at her earlier, after making her cry. I should have given her more time to tell me, but me being me, I wanted to know, I wanted to know why she's so closed off.

When she told me, my whole chest tightened. She didn't deserve to go through that; it wasn't her fault. She is so innocent, and it kills me that she feels the way she does.

She affects me in ways no one else can. But when she smiles, oh...when she smiles. I love it when she smiles only at me. It's like she has created her own perfect smile just for me.

I would do anything for her, and she doesn't even know it. I would climb mountains and build bridges to make her happy. She wasn't the one; she was the only one.

She was my Ella, my beautiful Ella. Nobody will have the chance to hurt her again; I won't let them.

She was the one person who cares about me as no one else does. I tell her my wrongs, but in her eyes, she only sees me as right. I know now that I can't live without her; she was my world.

I stand up, holding Ella bridal style. She clings to me, and I walk out of the bathroom to the living room. I sit down on the couch, and that's when she brings her head up to look at me. Tear stains cover her cheeks. Her bright blues eyes are all red and puffy. Her lips have a slight pout to them.

"I-I can't lose y-you," She mumbles into my chest.

I lift her head, "You will never lose me." She shakes her head and holds her thin arms around me. I run my fingers through her tangled hair; her hair is so soft. She smells like vanilla and coconut; her smell is intoxicating.

"I want ice cream," I whisper close to her ear. Her cheeks flush with color and her beautiful smile light upon her lips. I stare at her plush lips.

Her head lifts to look at me. I love that I brought back that bright smile to her face. "Me too."

I pad my thumb across her heated cheeks. She seems to go redder, and my own smile forms. I lean in close to her ear. "Then let's go get some, Lil' one." Her body stiffens by my closeness.

I bring my mouth down to her cheeks and leave butterfly kisses along her jawline. I then trail them down to the corner of her mouth. Her lips part and I push my lips down on hers, taking in her sweet taste. She instantly reacts and then pulls away, turning her head.

She was a flustered mess. "So cute," I can't help but let out.

I grab her hand and pull her up off the couch. She's so small; it's adorable. Her head only reaches my chest.

"I need to change and clean up," Her voice is quiet and shy.

I pull her towards the door after picking up my car keys. "You're beautiful, Ellie, just the way you are."