Chapter 1: part 2

"Monse it wasn't my choice." Cesar says as he holds her hands. "I know, it was Spooky's choice. Why would he want you to be in the life anyways?" Monse looks at Cesar with pain and sadness in her eyes. "No no no, Monse it's ok. I knew there was a chance it would happen eventually." He says. "You're 14 Cesar, I thought the plan was to leave Freeridge after graduation." Monse says. "I know and it still is... for you. As soon as you graduate you, Ruby, and Jamal can get out and you'll all do great things." Cesar says. "And you'll be here, in a gang. I'm not leaving you behind and you know that." Monse, Cesar, Jamal and Ruby always had plans to leave after graduating even if Cesar was in the gang. They never agreed it was all or nothing but it was to Monse. "So what you're gonna stay in Freeridge and keep kickin' it and Ruby's? Or maybe you can become a drug dealer like all the other people who couldn't make it out. Monse you're not staying and besides there's a long time before graduation." Cesar says. He looks Monse deep in the eyes and says, "I don't want you to end up like everyone else here. If you stay you're going to end up hating me." Cesar says. "Don't say that, I can't hate you for a choice I wanna make!" Monse yells. "Breathe Monse, I'll be ok but that's not the life you deserve. You deserve a future... to graduate from college... get a good job... and one day find someone and fall in love." Cesar says in between kisses on Monse's cheeks. "I don't want all that if I know you'll be in danger." Monse leans her forehead on Cesar's. "I know Monse, trust me I wish I could be with you through all that but there's no point worrying about that right now." Cesar holds Monse close.

*the next morning Monse, Jamal and Ruby are walking to school*
"Sorry I blew up at you guys yesterday. I know you weren't trying to hurt me when you asked about Cesar." Monse says. "It's cool let's just forget about it... and let's just forget about Cesar." Ruby says. "He's still part of the crew, you can't say that." Monse says. "No he's not he made it obvious he was and still is done with us." Jamal informs Monse. "Shut up Jamal." Monse says as she crosses to Cesar's house. She walks up to the door and Cesar's waiting there. "They don't wanna deal with me Monse I thought you said you were coming alone." "It doesn't matter we need to make it through high school and that means we need Jamal and Ruby and you too." Monse puts her hand on the side of his neck and says, "I need you Cesar." Cesar nods his head and they both walk to Ruby and Jamal. No one says a word until Jamal breaks the silence, "I can't do this I can't keep a secret! It's going to make me implode I don't know why anyone keeps secrets!" Cesar and Monse look at each other and Cesar nods. "There's something I need to tell you guys." Monse says nervously. *two gunshots go off.* "Forty-four!" They say in unison. A red car pulls up and the driver calls Cesar's name. He gets in the car and they drive off. There is no way Monse is telling them the truth without Cesar. Jamal, Ruby and Monse watch as they drive away slowly. "What were you gonna say?" Ruby asks. "Cesar, we need to save him." Monse says.