Chapter 7

The crew went to Ruby's after school and Monse is doing everything in her power to keep things from being awkward. The only open seat was next to Cesar and when she realizes they're too close she moves closer to Ruby. Cesar's hurt but he can't show it, he doesn't want Monse to feel like she did something wrong. He decides to hide it by flirting with Olivia, maybe he'll find something with her.
*about two weeks later*
"Hey Olivia, you want to hangout?" Cesar asks Olivia. "Yeah, I'll ask Ruby what time works for him." She walks towards Ruby's room but he stops her. "I was thinking it could just be us two." He says. She smiles but he doesn't get the same feeling in his stomach when he made Monse smile. "Yeah, that sounds fun." She nods. They go watch a movie and he can only think of one thing, you guessed it, Monse Finnie. At the end of the date he kisses her searching for that feeling Monse gave him.
Monse on the other hand, has been spending most of her time with Jamal and Ruby. Ruby's in the same boat as her and he understands how it feels to have the one person you like dating your best friend. "So how are you and Cesar?" Monse asks Olivia. "I don't want to make you uncomfortable but we've been so good. He makes me so happy. I guess he's kind of distant but he's probably just trying to be cool." Olivia says in a giddy voice.

*Thanksgiving*
"Hey Monse, are Cesar and Oscar coming over like they usually do?" Monse's dad asks. "I don't know, maybe." Monse doesn't look up as she checks the turkey. "I don't want to be pushy but is everything ok with you two? You used to be inseparable but he's never over anymore." He asks. "I don't know dad he has a girlfriend and I guess he forgot about us, I mean me." She slams the plates down on the kitchen counter. "I don't think he forgot about you." He points out the window and she sees the two boys walking over. "I got it." She opens the door before they have a chance to knock. "Room for two more?" Cesar asks with an awkward smile. "Yeah. I mean um happy thanksgiving." Monse fumbles of her words. Later at dinner they reminisce about their first thanksgiving together. "We were in like fifth grade and I forced my dad to walk me to your house so I could bring you guys food." Monse laughs. "Yeah Cesar was so excited, it was our first real thanksgiving dinner." Oscar says. "It's weird how something so small turns into a tradition." Monse's dad laughs. "Hey Cesar, you wanna help with the plates?" Monse asks. They get in the kitchen and Monse looks at him and frowned. "Why didn't you go to Ruby's?" She asks. "You're not at Ruby's and we've spent every thanksgiving for the last five years together why would I stop now?" He asks. "Because you have a girlfriend." Monse points out. "Yeah but you're my best friend and I'm not breaking a five year streak for a girl I barely want to be with." Cesar takes a step closer to Monse and grabs her hand. "I don't feel the same way with her." Monse knows she shouldn't but she starts to lean in. Oscar clears his throat before they can kiss. "Maybe you two should go to Ruby's, you'd get to see your girlfriend." Oscar interrupts. "Ok." They say in unison. They walk in complete silence. "You go in first, I need a minute." Monse smiles and Cesar nods. Monse feels like someone punched her in the stomach. He shouldn't have said anything. Monse walks in and sits at the table with them. "My mom makes the best tres leches especially for my birthday, I guess not this year." Olivia sighs and gets Monse's attention. "Don't say that maybe they'll be back by then." Monse says hopefully. "In a week? I don't think so." Olivia sulks.
"Wait, your quince is in a week and you didn't say anything?" Ruby suddenly starts a whole family affair around Olivia's quince and she goes to her room to cry. She knows he means well but it's too much. Monse follows Cesar into Olivia's room and finds her crying. They both go and hug her. Ruby walks in and sees her crying and somehow he convinces her to have her party for her parents.

*The next morning*
"Where's Olivia?" Cesar asks. "The princesa doesn't need to be bothered with the details." Ruby hisses. They understood why he was being so intense but he was turning into a chambelán/ birthday planner from hell. Cesar starts to get up when he sees Monse staring at a Facebook profile. "Think that's your mom?" He asks. "Yeah." Monse usually goes through life based on facts but she had a gut feeling this was her mom. "Just do it." Cesar pushes. She clicks on her fake profile and he's shocked by the name. "Laura Diaz?" He asks. "I couldn't put my real name it'd probably just scare her off." Monse goes back to staring at her profile and he clicks the button that says "friend". "What did you do?" Monse starts to freak out. "What you needed to do." He puts his hand on her shoulder before he walks away. Later during dance practice Monse and Ruby watch Cesar and Olivia. They both want the best for there friends so they refuse to be upset especially when they look so happy together. "What was I thinking, girls like that don't go for guys like me." Ruby shrugs. "Why not?" Monse asks. "Same reason guys like Cesar don't go for girls like you." Monse tries not to cry when Ruby says this, all he's doing is making things worse. After Olivia has a mini meltdown and everyone's stressed Cesar and Monse decide to go. "Why don't we hangout for a little bit, I don't really feel like going home yet." Cesar suggests. "Sure, I just need to text my dad first just in case he FaceTimes me and sees that I'm still out." Monse smiles.