Chapter 9

Monse wakes up when she hears her phone wringing. Of course the first person to call her is Olivia. She scrolls through all the messages Jamal sent and then she sees one from Olivia.
Olivia: Do you know where Cesar is???
Monse feels a wave of guilt rush over her. She's looks over and sees Cesar sitting at the foot of her bed and she wants to talk about all of this. "Hey." She feels a little awkward. "My life is over." He says and she gets protective and sits behind him. "Don't say that." She says. She places her lips on his back lightly in an attempt to comfort him. "It's true, I'm dead either way. If I kill Latrelle, it'll be dead inside. If I don't kill him... I'll just be dead." Cesar says. Monse takes a deep breath and she honestly can't believe she's actually about to suggest this. "What if you disappear?" She says. "How?" He asks. "With money... a lot of money." She explains. "Monse, we both know there's no way we're getting enough money to get me out of here." Cesar sighs. "Do you trust me?" She asks him. "Of course." He says. "So just leave it to me. I'll handle it." Monse smiles and he kisses her. "Promise me two things." Cesar pulls back. "One, you're gonna stay safe... I'm couldn't forgive myself if something happened to you." He says and Monse doesn't wait to hear the second part. "Nothing's going to happen to me so don't worry. I just wanna make sure you can get out." She says. "And two, if anything happens to me you move on." Cesar adds. "Don't say tha-" He cuts her off. "Seriously, you guys can't cry about it in front of anyone. You act like you didn't care about me or the Prophets might see you as a threat." Cesar tells her. "Nothing's going to happen to you." Monse leans in again and, even though he wants to finish the conversation, he gives in. "You sure you won't feel guilty when you see Olivia?" Monse asks between kisses. "No, will you?" He asks as he runs his thumb over her lips. "No." She shakes her head. Cesar moves his hand to the side of her face and pulls her back in. "Good, so let's stop talking about her and let me kiss you." He smiles. "I wanna stay here but I gotta go help Jamal." Monse says while he kisses her neck. "Stay." Cesar says. "I need to help you get out, remember?" She asks. "No but I almost forgot." He leans his forehead on her shoulder. "Stay here until I get back." Monse tells him. "Spooky's gonna come looking for me eventually." Cesar tells her while he watches her get dressed. "Stall as long as you can. We'll figure it out as fast as possible." She squats down in front of him. "We're gonna be ok." Monse kisses him slowly before she gets back up. "I'm going but call me if you need me. I promise I'll pick up." She smiles. Monse walks to the door and right when she opens it Cesar closes it. "Just in case." He says. He turns her around and kisses her like it's the last time and in his head, it very well could be. "You're gonna be fine." Monse says. "Even if I'm not, you have to stay out of it. Latrelle doesn't know what's going on so don't try and talk to him." He tells her. "I'll stay away from Prophet territory and we'll stay low." Monse agrees. She kiss him and leaves before he can stop her again.
Cesar was already on edge thinking about Latrelle but sitting here waiting for Oscar to come looking for him was torture. Every minute lasted longer than the last and he ended up calling and texting Monse for updates on a regular basis. Cesar knows these are the last few hours before his life changes forever. At this point it's almost four thirty and he knows what he has to do. If Cesar doesn't kill Latrelle everything is just gonna keep spiraling. He walks back to his house and his mind's already made up. "Let's do this." He says and Oscar smiles. "Thought I'd have to go look for you. Drag you from your hyna's house." He tells Cesar. "How'd you know where I was?" Cesar asks. "Don't worry about it." Oscar says. "If anything happens to me, stay the fuck away from Monse." Cesar says confidently. "Do what you're supposed to do and nothing's gonna happen to you. Latrelle's the only one dying tonight." Oscar laughs. "Doesn't sounds like I really have a choice." Cesar says. "You don't." One of the cholas says. "Unless you wanna be put off." Sad Eyes adds. "No, I'll take care of it." He isn't a killer, this life was never something Cesar could deal with, but he wasn't ready to die. Even if he lived without the Santos he wouldn't have any protection and he might as well be dead. "We got eyes on Latrelle, when it's clear you'll go and take care of it." Oscar says.
***Later***
"Cesar... Cesar say something!" Monse yells through the phone and then she hears the boys start to fight.
All she can do is worry about him at this point because they have nothing. Any faith she had in the money being really just dissolved. A million thoughts ran through her mind but only two were in Cesar's. The first, he was about to kill his childhood friend and the second thought, he could never go back to who he used to be after he pulls the trigger. "There's gotta be another way!" Latrelle screams and Cesar gets an idea that could save them both. "There is." He tells Latrelle. "Disappear." Even Cesar's surprised with how calm he's being. While they talk through their plan a terrifying thing beings to set in. Maybe Cesar was made for this life and Oscar might have been right.

Author's Note:
This is just a trail run!!! I'll finish writing season 1 but I update based on how many people read/vote on each story. I'll see how the next few chapters go but there are no promises.