Chapter 10 part 4

"So how long?" Ruby asks Cesar while they grab drinks. "Off and on since summer." He admits. "So why'd you go for Olivia in the first place?" Ruby sounds hurt. "It's a long story but Monse thought we'd all be better off if we weren't together." He explains. "You guys weren't good at hiding it." Ruby shakes his head. "It's been months and no one knew until we started getting messy about it." Cesar defends himself. "Yeah the hickeys and hand holding and having sex in a church parking lot were a dead give away." Ruby laughs. "Olivia said she just saw us kiss!" Cesar's never been more embarrassed in his life. "She told me last thing she saw was Monse-" He cuts off Ruby. "I don't think I wanna know." Cesar says. "I didn't want to either but now I do and I will never get that image out of my head." Ruby says with wide eyes. "Where's Jamal by the way?" Cesar tries time change the subject. "Him and Monse got in a huge fight. I'm surprised she didn't tell you." Ruby explains. "How bad did it have to be for Jamal not to show up?" He asks. "Pretty bad. He said somethings about you and Monse went off." Ruby says. Cesar looks over and sees Monse talking to someone but he just ignores it. "I'll try and calm everything down when I see Jamal." He tells Ruby.
"You can't be here." Monse tells him. "I need to talk to Cesar." Latrelle whispers. "There's Santos here! You're gonna get yourself killed and if they find out Cesar helped you... you know what'll happen." Monse says seriously. "If I don't talk to him he's gonna die." Latrelle explains. "Ok but I gotta get you inside before someone sees you." Monse leads the way inside but right when she thinks they're in the clear Geny sees them. "Latrelle, I haven't see you in years!" She gives him a hug. "Yeah, the crew kinda split." He says quickly. "How's everything? Last time I saw you things weren't going to well." Geny starts a full conversation. "I'm gonna go find Cesar. Stay low." Monse tells Latrelle. "Things are good. Bianca got out, she's in college." He tells her. "So you're alone in Freeridge?" She asks. "Yeah, it's just me and my little sister." Latrelle nods. "If you two ever need anything you always have a place here with us." She smiles. "I can take care of us." He shakes his head. "You're a child. You shouldn't have to be a dad to your little sister." Geny says, lovingly.
"Cesar, there's kind of an emergency inside." Monse tells him. He doesn't need anymore details and Cesar follows her. "What the hell is he doing here?" He yells. "Cesar!" Geny hisses. "We gotta talk." Latrelle tells him. They go sit down in the living room without Geny and Monse. "Talk." Cesar demands. "I fucked up. I told some guys what happened and now they're looking for your ass. You have maybe an hour but you gotta get outta here." He explains. "Why don't you just let them kill me?" Cesar asks. "I was gonna take care of it myself but Geny changed my mind." He explains. "You told her?!" Cesar yells. "I didn't say anything!" Latrelle says quickly. "Right now, you just gotta get out. If they don't see you they won't do shit. I'm risking my ass for you right now so you better go." He tells Cesar. "I gotta get Monse out. You know what's gonna happen if they find her and not me." Cesar says and Latrelle nods. They run in the kitchen and she's gone. "I'll get her out but you gotta go before they pull up." He says. "I can't trust you." They both walk out and look for Monse. "You gotta get outta now!" He yells. They both look up and two guys are looking for Cesar. "Go!" Latrelle yells. "I can't leave Monse." He finally sees her and he runs to where she's dancing and he tries to stay low. "We have to go." Cesar tells her. "They're here?" Monse asks. "Cesar!" Latrelle and Ruby yell at the same time. He pulls Monse to the ground and two gunshots go off. "Olivia!" Ruby yells. "This all your fault!" Monse screams. Ruby looks over and she's screaming at Latrelle. "You're gonna be ok." She tells Cesar while he lays in her lap. Monse doesn't stop yelling because if she does, she has to deal with what's going on right in front of her. "I tried to get him out!" Latrelle defends himself. "You shouldn't have come over in the first place!" She cries. "He only stayed 'cause he was looking for you!" Latrelle yells at Monse without thinking. "You have to go." She says calmly. "What? I can't leave!" Latrelle says. Monse looks over at the Santos and back at him. "Go." She tells him. "Shit." Latrelle runs and the Santos chase after him.
When the EMTs come Monse follows them up to the ambulance and doesn't leave Cesar's side. "We have to go, you can see him at the hospital." One or the EMTs stop Monse when they get to the ambulance. "What? No, I'm not leaving him!" Monse yells. "I know you care about your friend but we have to do our job." He says while they load Cesar into the ambulance. "Let her." Another EMT says. "We could-" the first one starts talking. "The only one stopping me from doing my job is you. Now get out of the way so we can make sure this kid lives!" The other one yells. Monse's climbs inside and holds Cesar's hand. "You're gonna be ok." She says. He pulls off his oxygen and looks at her. "If I die, I want you to know something." He says through the pain. "Don't." Monse cries. "You were the love of my life." Cesar says. "What's going on?!" Monse yells when the monitors start going off but everyone ignores her.