⤿ one

An irritating bell rang across the giant building, heard by anyone inside

An irritating bell rang across the giant building, heard by anyone inside. A ten-year-old Danielle covered her ears by wrapping the pillow around her head. Since she was moved into this prison-like facility, her sunrises have become identical.

Rasping, she opened her eyes, attempting to adapt to the sunlight before the white, artificial lights were switched on. But when her eyelids separated, the luminosity burnt her pupils. The other girls in the room whined with her. They forced themselves out of bed, racing for a spot in the grand mirror, hurrying their beauty routine before the reincarnation of the Devil came.

"Ladies, get dressed and meet in the great hall to have breakfast in fifteen minutes. Good morning to all of you." The French woman bellowed from the end of the hall, voice loud enough for all girls to heed. Instantly, everyone in the room hurried away from the mirror and back to their personal areas, putting on their uniform.

It had been over a year since the girl had to dress in those ridiculous clothes: a white polo with a crimson tie, a midnight blue cardigan, and a red, plaid skirt. It was a remarkably boring look, which drove Dan to discover means that made it special each day, it could be altering the hue of her tights or perhaps going barefoot if she was feeling bold.

"Danielle, what's taking you so long?"

The girl took a glance around, no one but her was left. She shut her eyes and sighed, recognizing the tone. For months she had been finding setbacks with tying her ribbon and none of her mentors took the chore of teaching her, taking satisfaction in ridiculing the blonde to sustain their fragile ego.

"It's surprising that you still struggle with this at your age!" The middle-aged woman aggressively withdrew the girl's hands from the ruddy material, fastening the tie around her neckband, perhaps a little too tight. Dan opened her eyes, glaring at the woman as she bolted to the corridors, escaping a scolding.

Dan entered the Great Hall, head beginning to throb at the sudden chatter. The room was packed, girls on the right, boys on the left. She found her friends sitting in the invisible barrier that separated them, as they would normally do. The group had quite a reputation in there, being one of the motives boys would get castigated for trying to make a move on them. At the age of ten.

Sitting down between a ginger and another blonde teen, she went for her corresponding portions, chomping it all down in a matter of seconds. Then she helped herself with some tea, unhurriedly sipping as her ears caught what her friends were whispering. They were jabbering about this absurd drama between some French celebrities. Unimportant to her.

"Good morning children." A round of groans and dramatic eye-rolling followed the cheerful yelp. The kids turned their heads in direction of their director. "We have some great news. For starters, seven kids had been adopted―" cheers, murmurs, and many other sounds interrupted him. He allowed them a few seconds before demanding silence. "Second of all, today the sun is really strong and has dried the rain from yesterday, meaning you will be having physical education again."