⤿ sixteen

Vanya did not seem like a threat

Vanya did not seem like a threat. She didn't even seem interesting at all. Extra ordinary was a term used to describe her. The woman was sensitive, always trying to make her family proud, quiet. . .

Dan learned to never trust what's on the surface. Or even the interior. No matter how nice Vanya looked or acted, at her core, she was a ticking bomb. Bottled-up feelings, responses, traumas. It all finally exploded. Literally.

Her hands tightened around Klaus as they rushed across the house. Vanya wouldn't hurt them, right?

Her doubts transformed into terror when she saw Pogo's wide eyes as he hurried everyone out of the house. Not only were her siblings frightened of Vanya, but also the ones responsible for containing those powers for decades. Their poorly kept secret was now backfiring. And the coward Reginald Hargreeves was already too dead to suffer the consequences.

Diego called for their mother, running along the second floor in search of the woman. Klaus and Dan decided to follow him. They wouldn't leave him alone as the house crumbled around them.

A small piece of debris dropped by her head, making Dan stumble back. She fell on her ass. She looked at the ceiling with resentment─ fuck! A larger portion of the ceiling cracked. It would give out any second, now.

Before she could warn them, it fell. A third figure appeared behind the brothers, pulling them back just in time. The room filled with dust. Dan jumped to her feet and rushed towards them. The man was nowhere in sight. Diego and Klaus were unharmed.

Klaus helped Diego to his feet, glancing around the room. Dan grabbed both of them and shoved them towards the windows, shooting one last look behind her. Empty. She continued pushing them toward the emergency stairs. The metal rods snapped out of place, forcing them to jump off before reaching the ground.

Dan took one last look at the house. Behind her, Diego thanked Klaus for saving his life. A strange silhouette appeared by the second-floor window. It wasn't identical to the one she saw rescuing the brothers. . . It was Grace.

The woman smiled at them. Dan pointed her out to the siblings who gasped at her sight. They couldn't reach her. Grace seemed unbothered by the calamity around her. She began waving at them. The room around her crumbled. She blew them one last kiss before disappearing among the debris.

Diego lurched towards the house. Both Dan and Klaus held him back. What remained of their childhood home disintegrated before their eyes with a roar. Glass, bricks, and metal flew around. All their memories were now buried under a mountain of trash.

Dan couldn't imagine how heartbreaking it must be. They had grown up there, made their first steps, learned about their powers, passed time with one another. . . She had only walked into that place for the first time a week ago, and yet it crushed her heart. Dancing with Diego. . . discovering more about herself. . . getting drunk with Klaus. . .