⤿ nine

The flash was so intense that Dan uncontrollably closed her eyelids, ruining yet another photo

The flash was so intense that Dan uncontrollably closed her eyelids, ruining yet another photo. The man behind the camera sighed, gesturing her to smile again as he took another picture. This time, she forced her eyes open, succeeding in taking great photographs, finally. As he kept on taking a few more portraits, her mind went back to the two Hargreeves brothers, deeply wanting to know if they were fine. The lights flashed two more times before she was free to go, the producer of the article telling her to come by at the same time tomorrow.

She walked for a few minutes until she decided to take a taxi, tired of walking around if she had the money to afford someone to drive her to where she needed.

It was past lunchtime by now and she wondered if the few people living on the Academy would be sleeping or still hanging around with energy for a visit. In no more than ten minutes, a lot less time than it would take her if she was walking, the taxi stopped outside the ginormous house. Taking out some money and getting out of the car, she thanked the driver and paid for the ride, turning around to eye the familiar building.

Her body approached the door, knocking on it, only for it to open a bit by itself. Hesitant, she pushed the door open, slowly walking in, ready to apologize to anyone for entering by herself. Not that she was scared of their reaction, she knew by now they didn't mind her presence that much, but out of manners.

Two figures stood in the entrance hall, talking to each other. A smile formed in her face as one of them turned slowly, making his face visible for her, "you know I can't drive," she softly pushed the door shut, trying to make less amount of noise, but since she was focused on that, part of the conversation was inaudible to her, "I'll just get my things. Two minutes."

Her legs quickly took her to the man, wrapping her hands around his torso. It was great to see he was fine, walking around physically fine. After some seconds, he hugged her back, both unsure of what they were doing but it felt right. Dan pulled away and smiled brightly at the two men, asking where they were going.

"I still don't know, but you can tag along if you want. Right, Diego?"

He bobbed his mouth, trying really hard to say one word but eventually sighed in defeat. They took it as an agreement. Klaus ran upstairs as Dan engulfed Diego in a hug, trying to give him as much love as she had done with the other man, trying to keep things 'normal' before he commented on her hugging the junkie. She pulled away after some seconds, smiling shyly before they were stuck in a silent situation, a comfortable one, in which they were happy by just having each other by their side.

That was until Klaus stormed down the stairs, yelling over his shoulder that they should go to the car. None had noticed the bottle in his hand until they reached the vehicle, all settled down and Diego drove for some blocks, then Klaus took a long sip of the drink, worrying her once again for his health. However, they all stayed in silence, not sure of what was going on with him and if this was the right time to approach him.