⤿ five

Dan was late, again

Dan was late, again. In fact, she hadn't even left the house nor finished getting dressed. Her legs slid into the black jeans, jumping to make sure they were all the way up, before closing the zipper and passing the button through the hole. Her hands went for the white shirt she used to work, kind of a uniform she had created herself. Buttoning it all the way up, she checked her look and pushed her glasses up the bridge of her nose.

She grabbed her handbag before walking out, closing the door behind her with a loud thud.

The weather was still humid, but the temperature was normal, just like any other day in The City. Her legs took her to the usual place, it was the same routine every day she went to work. Although, something had changed today. As she walked into the doughnut shop, she noticed several shot marks on the windows and walls but it was way too early to care about it. She sat in her usual spot, the woman who owned the shop quickly walked over carrying what she always ordered. "Dark coffee, one jam-filled donut, and a chocolate one to take away. I made them later today, so I don't have to reheat them."

"Thank you," Dan smiled, fighting the urge to devour the donuts, they smelled so good and probably tasted even better. "I'm sorry for being late again. I stayed up late last night but tomorrow I'll try and come early, okay?" The woman scoffed, smiling and shaking her head as she walked away to get some other orders.

Dan started with the coffee, drowning it to the half before stuffing her face with the jam-filled donut, tasting every delicious bite like it was the last she'd ever eat. Her clock beeped, signaling that she should head to her work. She took a few dollars and left them on the table, waving at the owner as she walked out.

Her job was about twenty minutes of walking from the shop, this was longer than the five minutes it took to get from her house to have breakfast at Griddy's. By every minute that passed, the streets started to get crowded, the sun got stronger and the meters away from the white building decreased. In the meantime, she made a list of the things she had to do when she got there, files she needed to fill, projects to finish and start, and her secret investigation, one that she decided to work on herself and not show it to anyone until it was finished successfully.

C.A.M LABS. The sign could be read from two blocks away, the color of the letters contrasting with the white tiles of the front. People didn't come around here much, even if it was close to the center and many other commercial buildings were near. Dan entered the building with a polite smile, waving at the security guard that stood at the door. Passing by the desk, some offices, and the bathroom, she reached the wooden door that had a sign on top that read personnel only. Pushing on the door, she got in and walked toward the next glass door, ready to pass the DNA confirmations and start with the job she was paid to do.

Her hand pressed against the electronic pad, a green light scanned her palm and beeped highly, signaling it matched with one of the employees' handprints. Next, was the retina scan, which also came out as successful, allowing her entrance to the private part of the laboratories.