⤿ eight

Dan was early, way out of the ordinary

Dan was early, way out of the ordinary. Maybe because her shift started five hours later than usual, but still.

The streets were empty and so was the doughnut shop, where Agnes had prepared her usual take out of donuts. This time, she ordered an extra coffee for the go since she had barely blinked an eye. The events of last night violently flashed when her lids closed, making it impossible to fall asleep. No one knew where Klaus was, his family said he always disappears like that and comes back the next day, head in the clouds. Dan couldn't understand how they let him free like that, his life was in danger every time he did drugs. Maybe this was a task she'd have to do by herself.

The walk to the labs was fast and silent, she plugged in her headphones and listened to the only tape she carried in her bag. Her feet moved to the beat of the music, making her steps slow and elegant. For her, nothing was better than facing the day with a bit of calming music, no matter if she still had a bit of a headache. The boring buildings surrounding her started to become interesting, somewhat magical to her eyes as if she was in a musical.

As a new song started, her workplace showed before her eyes a few blocks away. The lyrics suddenly reminded her of the Hargreeves, ruining the nice moment along with many things more. Klaus started to worry her once more, she should go back to the house and see if he was back. She yanked her headphones off, the sounds of the car going down the street and people flooded her ears, this time it didn't affect her like last time.

Sighing, she did the last few meters to the white building, dreading the boring day ahead, at least she would get to go back with the only people that she enjoyed spending time with. As usual, she waved with a forced smile at the guard, who frowned at her for being way early. She passed the desk, offices, the smelly bathroom and pushed the 'personnel only' door, walking to the end and pressing her hand to the pad, which beeped, she leaned into the next scan, opening her eye big and finally being allowed to go through the opaque glass door.

Three people looked up interested in who had come in, going back to their assigned work, not caring who she was, if she had passed the scans, she was supposed to be here. Her feet turned to the left, taking her to the black door, which she pushed to get in, seeing it unusually empty, they always got here before her. She reached for one of the books, knowing especially what she needed. It was a red one, black designs around it, and the title was very catchy.

Placing her stuff and the book over the table, she turned all the pages until her eyes met an equation and some alterations that could be done to it, all under safe conditions. She quickly scribbled down the few things she needed before finishing when the door opened, one of her coworkers saluted her with two fingers and sat down in his usual place. Her hands wrote faster now that she knew she'd have to give up for now once the other scientist walked in.

The black door opened a few minutes later, while Dan found herself trying to solve something. Her eyes traveled up to smile at the woman as she packed her things back into her bag. Mack slid a notepad to the desk, a to-do list written down in cursive. The duo rolled their eyes, even if they were only three things to do, they liked to be free on what they did. But due to the accident that happened, they were forced to do things the 'correct way. "Time to go down!"