⤿ twelve

Dan, Allison, and Diego rushed away from the blinding lights

Dan, Allison, and Diego rushed away from the blinding lights. The two women looked at each other with puzzlement, trying to comprehend why they were being forced to do so. It was Allison who turned to her brother, while her feet still moved, and asked what was going on. Dan looked over her shoulder and saw the two police cars inching them. "They're here for me. They think I did something."

She halted on her step just for a second. She really hoped they could have the smallest break during their trek towards Jenkins's house. Clearly, they would not. The sirens began whooping after them, announcing their presence. As if the lights were not enough. "What do they think you did?"

"Murder," Diego replied instantly.

"Did you?"

"No, of course not, okay? Why would you ask that anyway?" He frowned at his sister, who fought the urge to start a valid argument. Allison knew there was no time to start a sibling dispute. Vanya needed their help. And with the police on their tails, they had no time to pause.

Dan bit her lip at his past question, coming up with several reasons one would accuse him of murder. One being that he carries knives with him at all times, or that he spent several nights at the station's cell and always had arguments with Eudora ( whose death was the reason they were after him, Dan supposed ).

"We're gonna have to split, okay?" Now, the sirens began wailing, pushing them to talk fast and waste no time in stupid conversations. He grabbed his keys and passed them to his sister. "I'm in charge. Remember? Vanya needs you."

"Don't do anything stupid, okay?" Allison seized Dan's wrist and pulled her the opposite way. They were silent, listening to the scene behind them. Tires screeching. More sirens joining. It all signaled Diego would not be able to escape.

They both felt the urge to turn around and try to help him. But what good would it do? It would only slow them down, force them to stay there for longer, and falsely testify about Diego's charges. By the time they are released, Vanya could be somewhere else and Harold Jenkins could already have started the world's doom.

The car came into view. It should have felt relieving if it did not mean leaving Diego behind. Allison quickly opened the driver's door, but Dan found herself facing a stuck door. She let out a shaky breath as she kept on pulling it open, her eyes looked around desperately ( Harold Jenkins was not the only bad person in the world, after all ). However, she did not find a criminal around.

Her hand let go of the door handle as she circled the car, heading towards the man. "Minho?" He took a few steps forward into the light as an answer. Dan turned around to the famous woman inside the car, who was giving her a questioning look. "Allison, I have to go. Go help your sister. Please─"