VIII - Yesterday and Today at Loggerheads

|| VIII: Yesterday and Today at Loggerheads ||

Arnav and Anjali had widest of smiles as they walked into the two story house of their maternal grandmother. It's summer time and every summer it's their ritual to come to their grandmother's house and enjoy Delhi and playing with their cousin Aakash.

And also... Good riddance from their father as even his mother gives her full attention to them during these days at their grandmother's home except for the night when she talks for half an hour or so with their father and sleeps without doing anything later. Their days in Delhi had more colorful memories than their days back home.

"Naniiii!!" Arnav and Anjali shrieked in excitment as they ran towards their grandmother who sat in her rocking chair reading something.

"My dear dear children!" She cooed as she tried to fit both of her grand children onto her lap and rained kisses on them. She adored her three grandchildren and upon that being able to see Arnav and Anjali only once or twice a year made them even more dear for Devayani.

"Now this is cheating. As soon as you see your grandmother you guys forget me altogether?" A heavy voice complained as both Arnav and Anjali looked up from enjoying their grandmother's pampering, their smiles widening even more.

"Nanaaaa!" They again shreiked and ran towards their grandfather. Arnav jumped into his arms while Anjali wound her hands around his waist with a smile.

"Careful children!" He lifted Arnav in his arms and wound another hand around Anjali. "How are you kids?"

"I'm fine Nana." Both chorused with wide smiles.

"Nana, you have the choclates with you?" Arnav askes as he played with the collar of his grandfather's long white shirt.

"Shh!" he whispered to Arnav's ears. "Don't tell Nani, we will go out later and get the choclates for you. Deal?"

"Yes deal!" Little Arnav loved deals. He shook hands with his grandfather sealing the same.

"What is going on between you both?" Devayani asked suspiciously while Anjali had by then walked to greet her cousin Aakash.

"It's a secret between the grandfather and grandson, Devi. It's a men deal. You won't understand."

"Yes Nani, you won't understand." Arnav rhymed his grandfather.

"Is it naughty boy?" Devayani couldn't help but smile at Arnav. "Then what about grandmother and grandson's deal?"

"That Nana will not understand!" He said matter of factly shocking the couple momentarily before they gufawed at the three foot kid's answer.

"Arnav Bhai!" The meek yet happy voice of Aakash disturbed Arnav as he looked around his grandfather and smiled at his favorite cousin.

"Nana, let me down!" He wiggled until his feet touched the ground and ran to his cousin giving him a hug. "Aakash! I missed you."

"I missed you too, Bhai!" Aakash replied winding his chubby arms around Arnav.

"Come, show me what new toys you got. We will play." Arnav jumped in excitement. Of course he had his own set of toys, but then he has always been awed by his cousin's toy collection that ranged from hot wheels cars to building blocks set and the models of Hulk, batman etc. He adored the whole collection.