XII - Her Promise & His Present

My forever mention for this story ElaraGizelle

There was something more to this chapter I wanted to write, but had to cut it here since I don't have a lot of time till the time of my update.

~

XII - || Her Promise & His Present ||

He looked around at the big looming structure in front of him with keen interest until he felt his mother tugging at his arm signalling him to walk with her. Arnav and Ratna had come to a temple today morning owing to Devayani's wish for Ratna to conduct a pooja at home for the Malik family's well-being. So Ratna had taken little Arnav with her to discuss about the same with the priest.

Climbing the steps one at a time, it took an eight-year old Arnav's energy to reach the goddess's idol. It isn't his first time visiting a temple, obviously, but Arnav looked around this old interior temple with new eyes.

"Chotte, fold your hands and make a wish." Ratna instructed him as he did per his mother's words. Closing his eyes like he noticed his mother do, Arnav peeked one eye open to see his mother still praying before closing it again. After completing her prayer, Ratna had taken the holy water for herself before she took some more to feed Arnav.

"Tastes pungent." Arnav made a face gulping down the holy camphor added herb water. Ratna laughed at the face her son made before bending down to take blessings from the goddess with Arnav following suit. He didn't know neither he wants to know anything about this except to do what his mother does.

Ratna requested the priest to have a talk with her as they sat down on top of the steps looking at an auspicious date to conduct the pooja at their home. Deciding a date which falls on the upcoming full moon day, Ratna requested to give her permission to leave as she looked around for her son only to widen her eyes spotting him.

"Chotte...!" Ratna admonished her son who stood near the idol trying to pluck at the toe ring on the statue's finger. Arnav stiffened hearing his mother's call as he guiltily moved back with his head down and hands folded behind his back.

"No problem, child. He's a kid. Anyways in a way he's seeking the mother goddess's blessings only touching her feet." The priest said with a pleasant smile as he reached the kid before him. "Little one, the goddess's blessings will always be on you and will help you in need. Here take this." The priest offered him the sweet from the box someone had offered to the goddess as a devotional offering.

"Thank you panditji." Arnav looked up at the priest with wide happy eyes, his chocolate orbs twinkling.

"God bless you." He kept his hand on Arnav's head blessing him.

"Chotte, come on." Ratna beckoned him her hand held out for him to take.

"Maa, let's sit here for sometime." He pulled at his mother's arm gesturing to a corner near the pillar with the intention to peacefully eat the sweet in his hand. Ratna agreed as they both sat Indian style, Arnav already munching on the sweet.

"Chotte, eat slowly. You'll choke on the food or else."

"I'm okay, Maa." Arnav smiled as he gobbled down the sweet, feeling content. "Maa, why is there that ring on the idol's feet? Won't anyone steel it?" Arnav asked, his sweet now complete, his mind returning back to its question self.

"Devimayya will see to it that no one will." Ratna explained conspiringly enjoying her wide eyed, confused son's expressions.