Chapter 3: Morning after

Lily's POV

I woke up the next day and, when I heard snoring, I smiled. I looked down a bit, at my chest, and saw Catherine sleeping peacefully. She had changed back during the night, thankfully.

I let out a deep sigh and caressed Catherine. I felt happy. I passed the test, the final tradition. Though I didn't understand how I could've failed that test. I mean, I had encountered the Vamrin form countless times and I had gotten pregnant with her child. I knew I was her one true love. How could I have failed that test?

I sighed, relaxing in this amazing bed. Too bad we didn't have the chance to spend our first night, as a married couple, in a better way. There were so many things we could've done here. But I'm sure we'll have other occasions like this.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door, followed by the sound of the door unlocking. And in came Marianne, followed by Esmee. They seemed relieved when they saw me.

"Lily," Marianne smiled as she stepped closer. "You're alright."

"Not that we doubted you wouldn't," Esmee said, to which I nodded. "But we'd be lying if we said we weren't worried."

I smiled. "Well, you know," I wrapped my arms around Catherine. "I can handle my wife, and her forms."

"All her forms?" Esmee asked.

I sighed. "I'll find a way to control Bloodborn as well," I looked at Catherine. "There has to be a way."

"How did Catherine react last night?" Esmee asked, changing the topic.

I looked at her. "Normal," I then thought about it. "She didn't look pleased though. I think she has a hard time opening up to me more."

Marianne nodded. "Lilian was the one person Catherine talked to about everything. And when she got taken from Catherine, I think that closed her up."

I nodded while caressing Catherine's body. "I want to be that person for her, but she still doesn't really let me."

"Give her some time," Marianne smiled. "Well, are you hungry?"

It's then that I realized I was indeed very hungry. "Yeah, I'm starving."

Marianne nodded and left the room again.

"Hey Lily," Esmee started, sitting down near the bed. "When Catherine changed into Vamrin form, was it different from other times in the past?"

"Not really," I then remembered something that has bothered me for a while. "She did have red eyes again though."

"Again?" Esmee sighed. "That's not good."

"What does it mean?"

Esmee looked down. "I don't know," She looked away. "It could have many meanings. One that her Bloodborn form is taking over. Another that her forms, in general, are getting more aggressive. Another that she's losing touch with her human side... It's not good."

I sighed as I looked at Catherine. When she was herself, in this human form, nothing had changed. In fact, she was very caring, very loving, very protective of me and Emily. But when she's in her Sanco or Vamrin form, her eyes show a sign of trouble. 

Her eyes, when she's in Sanco, shouldn't even be red. They should be her normal eyes, as she is a human with added powers. Her eyes, when she's in Vamrin, were always red. So we weren't that worried. But usually, those red eyes vanish as soon as she recognizes me. Now that doesn't happen anymore.

"Do you think she needs more blood or more meat?"

Esmee looked at me again. "I don't know," She sighed. "Possibly."

"Arrange some for her," I said to which Esmee was clearly taken back. "I want her to have blood or meat at any time."

Esmee nodded and got up. "As you wish."

"Here I am," Marianne said as she entered the room again. She was pushing a little cart, which held many breakfast items, such as donuts, eggs, bread, croissants... And it was making my mouth water just by looking at it. "I hope you'll enjoy."

"We will," I then looked at Catherine. "Catherine," I gently shook her awake. "Hey, wake up."

Catherine groaned before opening her eyes. "What?"

"Well, someone's moody..." Esmee chuckled.

Catherine got up, sitting on the bed. She looked around, as if she wasn't sure where she was. And, knowing she was in Vamrin last night, it wouldn't surprise me if she was indeed confused.

"I've brought you food," Marianne motioned to the breakfast trolley she had brought. "Enjoy, lovebirds." She smiled as she took Esmee with her, and they left the room.

Catherine looked from them to me. "How long were they here?"

"A couple of minutes," I then got up, pulling the breakfast trolley closer to the bed. I got the tray off the cart and put it on the bed. "Are you hungry?"

Catherine nodded.

"What do you want?" I asked as I looked around the tray. I'd devour everything if I could, I was so hungry.

Catherine stayed rather silent, unlike yesterday. 

I looked at her and saw her looking down. "Catherine?"

She kept looking down.

"Hey," I put the tray aside and crawled over to her. I went to sit on her lap, wrapping my arms around her neck. "What's wrong?"

She sighed.

"I kind of had expected you to be happy today," I said to which she looked at me. "We did get married yesterday."

"But I ruined everything."

I blinked a few times. I've learned, over these past two years, that Catherine doesn't immediately say what the problem is. She shows that something's bothering her, she even says what's wrong, but she's never clear. She only gives one piece of the puzzle at a time.

"I'm sorry."

"Catherine," I caressed her face gently. "You ruined nothing," I smiled at her. "Yesterday was perfect. It was the best day of my life, and I'm so happy I got to spend it with you."

Catherine looked me in the eyes for a while, debating whether or not to accept my words. Eventually, she smiled. "I love you."

"I love you too," I leaned in to kiss my wife's beautiful lips. "Now, let's eat," I wanted to get off her but she held me. "What's wrong?" I asked, immediately assuming something else was wrong.

She held me close to her. "You asked me what I wanted," She said to which I slowly nodded. Catherine then showed a playful smile. "I want you, my newly-wed wife." She turned us around so she was laying on top of me. She then started kissing from my lips to my neck.

"Catherine," I tried pushing her off, since I was really hungry, but failed. "Your wife's hungry, you know?"

But Catherine was too busy planting kisses on my body. It was clear she wasn't going to let me go just yet.

I sighed but smiled, I was happy that Catherine was happy. I only hope she'll open up to me before it's too late...