Chapter 10: Scared to death

Esmee's POV

"So what now?" Catherine let out a deep, frustrated sigh. She dropped her hands rather violently onto the table. "What do I do?"

I looked down, at the report. The conclusion of the tests came back with a result we didn't want to see. And, for once, I was actually worried for Catherine to go down like Vernon.

"We suggest you explain the situation to our Queen, she needs to be informed so she - "

"No," Catherine shut down the BC. "I don't want to involve Lily into this."

"Catherine," I started, gaining her attention. "If Lily doesn't know anything, she can't help you. Your mother didn't know anything, and it cost her her life."

Catherine gulped and looked down, she seemed on the verge of tearing up. "I don't want to hurt Lily," She sniffled. "In any way."

"That's why we need to inform her," I said gently. "So she knows."

She shook her head. "She'll hate me," She sniffled more, it slowly turned into sobs. "I'll lose her forever if I tell her."

"You don't know that."

"I do," She wiped away her tears before regaining her composure. She looked at the BC. "My decision is final," She made sure to also look at me then. "Lily, our Queen, shall not be informed about my condition."

I sighed and looked down.

"Then we suggest you start lowering your amount of daily blood intake and human meat intake," The BC said to which Catherine nodded, seemingly on board with this 'solution'. "If it gets hard, use the red room."

"I will."

___________________________

After that meeting, I went back home. I was honestly so disappointed in how things were arranged. It didn't feel right to me. I really think that Lily should know, so she at least has a chance to fight for her life...

I entered the house and let myself fall back onto the couch, letting out a deep breath.

Mom came to me. "Esmee?" She sat down next to me, her hands holding mine. "Are you ok?"

I sighed but nodded. "I am."

"Then what's wrong?" Mom gulped, I could tell she knew what I was about to say.

I looked her in the eyes, and I knew she could read the bad news off of my face. "Catherine's diagnosed with Bloodthirsty."

Mom let go of my hands, only to cover her mouth with them. She looked away, to nothing in particular. She seemed in shock.

I sighed. "She doesn't want to inform Lily."

Mom looked at me again. "We have to tell Lily, she needs to know. She needs to be able to protect and defend herself."

I nodded. "I told Catherine the same thing, but she ordered us not to tell Lily," I looked down. "She'll go on a diet, that's all."

"Will that help?"

I shrugged. "I've never seen anyone recover from Bloodthirsty."

"Poor Lily..." Mom buried her face in her hands. "I hope she'll stay safe."

I nodded. "Me too..." I sighed. "Me too." I repeated.

___________________________

Lily's POV

After Vernon's visit, I didn't really know what to think about the whole situation. I appreciate him informing me, but I couldn't help wondering why he'd help me. Why does he care? Would he really be that worried for his daughter? And was he even saying the truth?

"Here you go, princess." I said as I had put Emily by the tv. She had just finished eating breakfast and would enjoy some tv. That way, I could sit down and think, and consider my options.

I was seated at the dining table in the kitchen. Over here, I'd have a better opportunity to think about this whole situation while still having a good view of Emily.

Seeing Emily smile and dance with the kids shows on tv almost made me forget about my task. It made me smile, she made me smile. Then I became sad. What if I went down the same way as Lilian did? I'd lose Emily, I'd never see her grow up...

I buried my face in my hands. I couldn't stop thinking about the bad consequences. It made me really sad, I almost started crying.

"Mommy cry?"

I looked up and saw Emily look up at me with her big and worried eyes. I smiled, trying to stay strong for her. "No, honey," I picked her up and held her on my lap. "Mommy's just thinking about some things."

"Zaezzes?"

I sighed, again that language. "Yes," I once again assumed she was referring to Catherine. "I hope she'll come home soon."

"Watch movie." She then smiled.

I smiled too. "We could watch a movie together, yes."

Emily started clapping, showing her enthusiasm. "Now?"

"If you want," I got up and walked to the tv, there I put her back down. "You can choose a movie, honey." I sat down on the couch, waiting for her to look for a movie.

It's funny to see her choose. Emily was very picky. She'd go over every movie and look at the cover before putting it into a pile: yes - maybe - no. Then she'd go through the 'maybe' pile and divide it between the 'yes' and 'no' piles. Then she'd make her choice from the 'yes' pile. 

She walked to me with a movie in her hand. "This one."

I smiled. "Ok," I walked to the tv and put the disk in. I then sat down on the couch, ready to start the movie when suddenly I heard the front door close. I looked at my left and saw Catherine. Normally I'd feel happy and fuzzy inside, now I only felt worried. I gulped. "Hey."

Catherine smiled a bit. "Hey," She got out of her jacket and shoes, then she walked to us. "How's my hianag?"

Emily laughed before replying: "Good."

"I love you, hianag."

"Love you, zaezzes."

Catherine smiled before putting Emily back down onto the ground. She then walked to me, sitting down next to me. "I've missed you too, haewa." She leaned in to kiss me, and I let her. The last thing I wanted, was to trigger her.

I smiled a bit after the kiss. "I've missed you too," I then looked back at the tv. "We'll watch your movie now, honey." I then pressed play so the movie finally started.

Catherine wrapped her arm around me, pulling me into her. She let out a content sigh, clearly feeling good to have me in her arms. But I couldn't feel more worried and stressed, I feared for my life. And I never imagined feeling this way with Catherine...