Chapter 4: What's wrong?

Hey everyone

I'm sorry for the late update, I had a busy day... 
I hope you all do enjoy the chapter nonetheless :)

- LxT4ever

___________________________

Lily's POV

"Come on, Catherine," I hurried down the stairs. I was so eager to get back home again, to Emily. I wonder how her day with the maids was. I hope she behaved... "Hurry."

Catherine didn't seem to share the same eagerness as me. She was walking rather slowly, as if she didn't want to go back home.

When we finally got in the car, I couldn't hide my smile from her.

"You're happy." She simply said.

I looked at her. "Of course, I am," I sighed happily. "We're going back to our baby girl, aren't you happy to see her back?"

Catherine looked outside the window, once again showing that something was bothering her.

"Hey," I gained her attention easily. "If I remember correctly, you were the one obsessed with getting a child."

Catherine sighed.

I dropped my smile. "Catherine, what's wrong?"

She shrugged.

"Ever since we got married, you're acting like this," I said to which she looked at me. "Do you regret marrying me? Is that it?"

"Of course not," She looked down, playing with her wedding ring. "I'm just thinking."

I raised my eyebrows. "About?"

She shrugged.

I sighed, this was getting irritating. "If you want to talk about it, I'm here for you." I then looked out the window, watching the scenery pass by.

___________________________

"Hey Lily and Catherine," Marianne welcomed us back generously. She hugged us both, kissing our cheeks as well. In my mind, I saw Marianne as Catherine's mother. Throughout these past 2 years, she really took on that role. "How are you two?"

I smiled a bit, but motioned to Catherine with my eyes.

Marianne seemed to catch on. "How was the food this morning?" She asked Catherine.

Catherine simply walked past Marianne and went to her study, where she sometimes locks herself in. Time for herself, she'd say.

"What happened?" Marianne asked me, she seemed worried.

I shrugged. "If only I knew..." I sighed. "Ever since we got married, she became like that. It's like she regrets it."

"Lily," Marianne reached for my face, cupping it gently. "She loves you so much. She wanted to marry you for years. I know she doesn't regret it. And you know that too."

I sighed but slowly nodded.

Marianne smiled at me and let go of my face. "Just leave her for now, she probably just needs time to adjust to the whole situation."

"Maybe," I sighed before changing my mind onto the one thing I was eager about. "Now, where's my baby girl?"

Marianne smiled more. "She's outside, playing with Esmee."

I smiled at that thought. "I'll go check them out."

Marianne nodded. "She'll be happy to see her mommy back."

I walked to the backdoor and then stopped. I watched Esmee play with Emily, and noticed just how well Esmee was doing that. At that moment I wondered, what about Esmee? What did she want in life? She'd make a terrific mother.

"Hey," Esmee spotted me. "Look who's there!" She said to Emily, pointing to me in the process.

Emily looked at me and then laughed loudly as she ran clumsily towards me. Her arms up so I'd be able to pick her up.

"Hey there," I said as I picked her up, holding her in my arms. "How is my little princess?"

Esmee walked to us. "She's been doing well, she's such a nice child."

I smiled from Esmee to Emily. "Yes, you are." I kissed Emily's face a few times, gaining some laughs from her.

"Where's Catherine?" Esmee asked, making me look at her. "Isn't she going to come to say hello?"

I sighed. "Catherine needs time to adjust to the situation," I repeated what Marianne had told me, even though I didn't believe any of that. "I hope she'll snap out of it soon."

Esmee didn't seem convinced either. "I'll go talk to her."

"Thanks," I smiled and watched her leave the garden. I then looked at Emily. "Who wants to play in the pool?"

"Me!" Emily exclaimed.

___________________________

Esmee's POV

I walked inside the house, and spotted mom. "Where's Catherine?"

Mom pointed to Catherine's study.

I sighed.

"I don't know what's wrong with her, I thought she'd be happy now." Mom said, she looked visibly sad. "Why isn't she happy?"

I shrugged. "I'll go talk to her."

Mom nodded. "Be careful."

"Always." I walked to the study. When I arrived, I knocked on the door but received no answer. I knocked again before trying the handle, the door was locked. Catherine clearly didn't want anyone near her.

I walked back to mom.

"And?" Mom asked, eager to understand Catherine's state of mind. "What did she say?"

"Nothing."

"What?" Mom looked even more sad. "This is not good."

"Mom," I said, snapping her out of her own thoughts. "She didn't say anything because I didn't get in the study, the door's locked."

"Oh..." Mom then rumbled in her pockets before retrieving a keyring. "Here," She then motioned to one key in particular. "That's to the study."

I nodded before going back to the study. I tried the key and, indeed, the door unlocked and I was able to open it. When I entered the study, I stopped. "Catherine?"

She let go of the remains of a human limb. She looked down, she clearly felt busted.

I closed the door behind me and stopped. I was trying to process what I had seen. Why she'd hide while doing that, why she'd shut everyone out.

Catherine didn't say a word, she didn't even move. She just looked down, at her feet, while her hands were held together tightly.

My eyes landed on the human limb again. It was nearly all eaten. The bone was visible, with a few patches of flesh and muscles. Had she eaten all of that today?

I looked at Catherine. "You know you don't have to hide while doing that, right?"

Catherine kept looking down.

"Catherine," I slowly walked closer. I sat down with her. "What's going on?"

She sighed. "I'm hungry, Esmee."

"Yes, so? We can ask mom to make a big meal for lunch." I didn't understand what the big deal was, honestly.

She sighed again, gulping afterwards. "Not that kind of hungry."

Suddenly I realized what she was saying.

Catherine looked at me, her eyes were blood red. "Help me."