Chapter 8: Disappointment

Lily's POV

"Morning, haewa," Catherine said as she entered the bedroom with a tray in her hands. I sat up so she could put the tray on my lap. "I hope you're hungry."

"I could use the energy," I then looked at her. "After last night..."

Catherine smiled. "Well, here you go."

I licked my lips as I saw the food she had brought, I was starving. But, before I started eating, I thought about Emily. "What about Emily?"

"I checked up on her," Catherine said as she got out of her dressing gown, revealing her beautiful naked body underneath. "She's still sleeping, I guess yesterday was intense for her as well."

I nodded. "She did enjoy," I smiled as Catherine came underneath the sheets again. "We should have more of those days."

"We will."

I smiled, I liked how hopeful she was. I knew she meant what she saying but I also knew that Catherine, being the Mother Superior, couldn't take many days off. Everyone needed her.

We had breakfast in bed, in room 3. We talked about our day ahead. Catherine told me she wanted to just stay at her parents' house, which, to me, sounded pretty boring. What's the difference between staying here or at our home?

But she insisted we'd stay at her parents' house. So I agreed.

After breakfast, I got up and went to room 2, to Emily, while Catherine went downstairs to put our plates in the kitchen.

I entered room 2 and noticed Emily was still sleeping. I smiled as I walked to the bed and sat down on it. "Emily," I gently pulled down the sheets. "Wakey wakey."

Emily slowly woke up and, upon seeing me, smiled immediately. "Mommy!"

I smiled. "Are you hungry?"

She nodded.

I took her out of her bed and carried her downstairs. There I saw Catherine waiting at the dining table, with Emily's food. I sat down and started feeding Emily.

Catherine was busy on her phone. She looked really focused on what she was doing, which made me wonder what she was doing on her phone.

When Emily had finished her food, I wiped her face clean and put the plate away. I then sat down with my family. "So," I mainly looked at Catherine. "What now?"

"We play!" Emily exclaimed enthusiastically.

I smiled at her before looking back at Catherine, who still was busy on her phone. "Catherine?"

She looked at me. "What?"

I sighed. "What now? What do we do?"

Instead of answering me, she looked at her phone again for a bit before looking at me again. "I have to go now," She stood up. "But I'll be back for lunch, I promise."

"Wait," I hurried after her, to the front door. "Where are you going? I thought we'd spend the day together?"

"We will," She put her jacket on. "When I get back." She then kissed me before leaving the house.

I sighed. I should feel disappointed that Catherine left but, as I said before, I knew people needed her. I guess I'll have to wait for my turn...

________________________

Esmee's POV

"Are you sure she's coming?"

I looked at the leader of the BC. "I am," I looked at my phone again, checking the last message she had sent me: I'll be there in 20 minutes. "She'll be here in a few moments."

The BC was looking at the documents I provided, and at documents of past fallen Superiors. Superiors who, just like Catherine, became bloodthirsty.

I looked down, at my hands. I would be lying if I said I didn't worry about it. If Catherine was too far down, we would indeed have to put her down. She'd have to be eliminated before she'd become a threat. I hope we discovered it in time...

"Did she eat more humans than usual these past weeks?" The BC asked.

I shrugged. "I don't know," I then remembered Lily's request. "But our Queen demanded more bodies for the Mother Superior."

"Why? That could be dangerous."

"Because Catherine's eyes have been blood red," I said to which they nodded, seemingly understanding Lily's request now. "She just wanted to help."

Then, Catherine entered. She was a bit out of breath, or maybe she was nervous. She sat down, at her regular spot at the table.

The leader of the BC stood up and bowed for Catherine, showing his respect to her. "Superior," He then sat down again. "We requested your presence because we've received a report that you show signs of becoming bloodthirsty."

Catherine gulped and looked down, she looked ashamed. I knew she didn't want to become bloodthirsty, it's the very thing that caused her dad to kill her mom. Well, it was one of the factors of that murder.

"To prevent you from slipping down further, we're suggesting you undergo a couple of tests at the lab downstairs." The BC said.

"What kind of tests?" Catherine sounded worried and scared. "Will it take long?" She looked down again. "I promised my family I'd be back home with them, for lunch."

I sighed. "Catherine," I started, gaining her attention. "This is very important. We need to figure out if you have the condition and, if you do have it, how far down you are."

"Precisely," The BC agreed. "We need to do this to protect our Queen and the Princess."

"Ok," Catherine sighed, realizing she wouldn't be home for lunch. "Let me inform them, and then I'll follow and do whatever you want."

"Very well."

________________________

Lily's POV

"Anna felt sad, her best friend was angry with her," I looked at Emily, who was completely invested in the story. "What could Anna do to make up with Kim, her best friend?"

Emily was thinking. Sometimes I wondered if I was asking too much of her, she was only 2 years old... But Catherine, and Marianne, assured me that Emily could handle it. And she needed this. "They talk."

I smiled. "Good, they do talk indeed. And what could she say to Kim?"

Emily looked at me. "Say sorry."

"Yes," I pulled Emily closer to me. "You talk and say sorry." I kissed her head. "You're good at solving problems, honey."

"I help."

"Yes, you do." I kissed her again. Then, my phone rang. "Why don't you play with your farm until mommy's back?"

"Ok." Emily quickly walked to her toy farm.

I smiled and then walked to my phone, which was on the dining table. I saw Catherine was calling me, I frowned. "Catherine?" Somehow, I expected bad news.

"Lily," She sighed, and I knew I was right. "I'm not going to be able to be home for lunch. I'm sorry."

I looked down, I felt really disappointed. "When will you be here?"

A pause, it seemed as if she was talking to someone before replying: "Tonight, maybe tomorrow morning."

And I was more disappointed. "Ok," I then looked at Emily, and smiled. "I'll spend my day with Emily then," I looked away. "Have fun." And I hung up, without letting her talk again. 

I put my phone onto the table and wondered if I had been too harsh on her. No, I thought, she's the one leaving us. I nodded, convincing myself I did nothing wrong.

I then walked back to Emily. "Hey honey," I went to sit down with her. "Can I play too?"