Chapter 16: Our special day

Lily's POV

I sighed as I looked back to the front. Since Emily had vanished from sight, there was no point in me looking back.

Catherine was smiling like crazy, humming alongside the radio. I don't know what's gotten into her today, but I'm not going to complain about her happy mood.

I looked at her. "So, what are we going to do?"

Catherine glanced at me. "I'm taking you out on a date."

"A date?" I raised my eyebrows. "At this time?"

She nodded.

"Where is our date?"

Catherine smiled but didn't say anything.

"Catherine?"

She glanced at me. "It's a surprise."

"A surprise?" I nodded before looking out the window, I was trying to figure out where she could be driving us. It wouldn't be anywhere near this town since I was still a person of interest to the CAT. Yep, even after two years, they were still looking for me. "I wonder what it'll be."

"You'll see." Catherine smiled before looking back in front of her, to the road.

___________________________

Third person's POV

When Catherine came in earlier today, Marianne feared something might have happened. But she was so relieved, and honored, that she was simply tasked to watch Emily.

Marianne liked watching Emily, because Emily was such a nice and calm child. She was never disrespectful, she was never angry or cause problems. She was the perfect child, basically. And she reminded her a lot of Catherine, when she was that age.

And so, Marianne had been playing with Emily, feeding Emily and reading stories to Emily. And Emily loved it all. Especially when Esmee was with them during lunch.

Marianne had noticed how Esmee was with Emily, how caring and mother-like she appeared. When Esmee was playing with Emily, Emily laughed more. It's like they understood each other without having to talk.

When Esmee had to leave, for work, Marianne was playing with Emily again. They were playing in the sandbox. Catherine had it made for Emily's second birthday, and Emily absolutely adored it.

Emily was busy trying to make a sandcastle, and Marianne was trying to help her. "Here," She lifted the bucket up. "This is a nice tower for our castle, don't you think?"

Emily looked at it and nodded. "Big castle!"

Marianne smiled. "We'll make the biggest castle."

"For mommy."

Marianne's smile dropped a bit. "Yeah," She looked down, at the sand. "For your mommy."

Suddenly a guard came to them. "We have your daughter on the line."

Marianne got up. "Can you watch her?" She said, referring to Emily.

The guard nodded to which Marianne left to the house, to get the phone. The guard watched Emily closely until he heard a noise a bit further in the garden. He went towards the noise and disappeared out of sight.

Emily didn't seem bothered by any of it. She was simply busy building the castle for her mommy. She wanted it to be finished before her mommy would come home, and it needed to be perfect.

"Hello, sweetpea."

Emily looked around and then noticed the man she had seen before, with her mommy. Yet, she didn't say anything. She blinked, trying to remember who he was.