Chapter 13: Lily needs to know

Esmee's POV

I was going over some orders. I noticed a trend happening lately, many companies started ordering a bigger amount of our supplies. I wonder why.

At around 10 in the morning, Catherine entered the office. She didn't greet me, she went straight to her own office. And I knew something was up.

I got up and got into her office, I closed the door behind me. "Hey," I sat down in front of her and noticed dark circles around her eyes, she had been crying or not sleeping. Whatever it was, it wasn't good. "How are you?"

She shrugged.

It was indeed serious. I leaned in closer, onto her desk. "What's wrong?"

She sighed. "I changed," She gulped. "Into Bloodborn."

My eyes widened. "And Lily...?"

"Lily was saved," She then looked down. "By my daughter." She then burst out crying. "I almost killed my one true love," She shook her head. "I'm no better than my freaking father!"

I got up and hurried to her. "That's not true," I wrapped my arms around her. "Your dad is an evil person, you're nothing like him."

"I almost killed my wife, Esmee!"

I gulped. "We'll figure something out."

"Oh really?" She wiped her tears away. "Like what?" She sniffled some more. "I really don't want her to die because of me. And I don't want my little daughter to protect her against me." She looked down again. "I felt so bad when she told me," She shook her head again. "My daughter stood up against my Bloodborn form to protect her mother."

That piqued my interest. "Emily was able to control your Bloodborn form?"

Catherine nodded.

"How?"

Catherine wiped her tears away again before looking at me. "Apparently she has talked to me in our language, and that helped."

I raised my eyebrows. That was very interesting information.

"Why are you asking?" Catherine asked, probably noticing my facial expression.

I shrugged. "I'm just wondering if maybe that's the key to prevent this from happening again."

Catherine raised her eyebrows. "Talking to my Bloodborn form in our language?" She then huffed. "That sounds idiotic."

"Maybe," I leaned back then, crossing my arms. "But your daughter saved your wife using our language."

Catherine looked at me, she seemed to realize I was right. She realized that there was indeed something here. "Maybe..." She then looked away. "I just feel so bad about it all. This shouldn't have happened."

"Did anything happen last night? Something that might have triggered your Bloodborn form to come out?"

Catherine looked away, to nothing in particular. She was thinking, probably going over last night in her mind. She then looked at me. "I was thirsty, but Lily denied me to drink her blood."

I raised my eyebrows again. "She denied it?" I then nodded. "Good on her part, that's what you need."

"I know," She looked away, letting out a frustrated sigh. "But what if that triggered me?"

"You should set up some rules with Lily," I said to which Catherine's head shot up in my direction. "Lily needs to be informed so she won't die."

"No!" Catherine shouted. She then got up and faced the window behind her desk. She looked outside, probably trying to calm down. 

"Catherine," I sighed. "I know you're ashamed or scared to inform Lily about your condition but if we do nothing, she will go down like your mother," I paused, letting this information sink in. But, when I noticed Catherine wasn't reacting, I went on: "You got lucky last night, don't risk Lily's life again."

Catherine looked down. "I know," She went to sit down again. "I know I should tell her and inform her," She looked away. "But," She paused, then she sighed. "I don't want to scare her away." She then looked at me, tears were forming in her eyes. "She told me she was scared for her life, she's scared of me, Esmee!"

I looked down. I couldn't imagine how much that must hurt Catherine... Especially since she has been looking for Lily for so long.

"I'll go on a diet, I'll fight the pent up frustrations and the withdrawal symptoms on my own."

I slowly nodded. "I'll help you with that."

She slowly smiled. "You're the best."

I smiled and nodded.

____________________________

Lily's POV

I was putting on my jacket and preparing Emily to leave this house. I liked it here, but I just wanted to go home. I also think that, if Catherine would turn into Bloodborn again, I'll get more support at home.

"Ready to go, honey?" I asked Emily, who was standing next to me.

She then started jumping up and down excitedly. "Go home?"

"Yes," I then picked her up, carrying her in my arms. "We'll go back to aunt Esmee, and Mari, and everyone else."

"Yay!" She clapped with her hands while I smiled at her and opened the front door. Then her excited attitude vanished. "Who that?"

I then looked in front of me and gulped. "Vernon."

"Lily," He then looked at Emily, and he smiled. "Emily."

Emily looked at me, she seemed scared. "Who that?"

I pulled Emily closer to me. "Vernon, what are you doing here?" I then stopped and thought about this second encounter with him. "How can you even be here?"

He didn't seem in a hurry, so it made me think he didn't feel like he was on the run. When he clearly was on the run. "I've got my ways to get out of that prison, especially lately."

I raised my eyebrows.

"When the current Superior is falling apart, the predecessor is looked to for guidance," He then walked past me and into the house. He looked around before looking at me again. "What happened last night will happen again."

When he said that, I looked down. My eyes landed on Emily, I hugged her tightly.

"She'll protect you, keep her close."

I looked at him. "How do you know that?"

He shrugged. "Our bloodline is strong, we can sense each other's mood. When Catherine changes into Bloodborn, I feel it." He then looked at Emily. "She feels it too."

"Zaezzes?" Emily looked at me, panic in her eyes.

"It's alright," I kissed her head, calming her down. "She's alright."

Vernon seemed pleasantly surprised when he heard Emily use that language. He came closer and looked at Emily. "I oz esaeun knaoqgog."

I looked at Emily and saw her look at him in wonder. "Knaoqgog?"

Vernon smiled. "Yes."

I pulled Emily closer. I couldn't help but not trust him, even though he didn't do anything wrong in my presence. "Anything else?"

He looked at me. "No," He then looked around more, as if he was looking for something. "Catherine's not here?"

"No," I followed his movements closely. "She's at work."

He nodded. "Ok," He then walked past me and exited the house. "Good luck." He left before I could say anything else.

I let out a breath and then left the house myself.